puppa_bear

Hi All,

The family and I are heading to Europe next year, and as part of the trip we will be in Frankfurt and will visit the Senckenberg (I went 3 years ago and fully geeked out!). While there we are planning a trip to the Messel Pit. If anyone has any tips to get the most of the visit to the Pit, or any other sites near Frankfurt that are worth visiting then I'd love to hear about them.

We will also be going to Innsbruck and Basel (Switzerland), so if anyone knows of any good locations to visit then I'd also love to hear about them.

Also, it would probably be good to know about the laws regarding fossils, etc, in these countries - so if anyone knows I'd really appreciate it.

Brett.

Sounds like fun!

@belemniten and @Ludwigia are probably the most knowledgeable TFF-members regarding fossil locations in Germany, they should be able to tell you a lot on the subject.

Wait for them to reply here and they'll probably be very willing to share some info with you.

Good luck!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Sounds like fun!

@belemniten and @Ludwigia are probably the most knowledgeable TFF-members regarding fossil locations in Germany, they should be able to tell you a lot on the subject.

Wait for them to reply here and they'll probably be very willing to share some info with you.

Good luck!

Max

Thanks heaps Max!

1 hour ago, puppa_bear said:

We will also be going to Innsbruck

What would you like to do in or around Innsbruck? If you are interested in mining history, you could visit the old mine in Schwaz, a silver mining boom town during the 16th century.

Maybe @andreas can provide more help.
Franz Bernhard

The Messel Pit is now a UESCO World Heritage site and collecting is forbidden, though the pit may be viewed from a nearby observatory platform. Fossils from the Pit may be seen displayed  in local museums. I visited southern Germany last year and collected at nine sites that were accessible. I brought back a number of fossils, primarily ammonites, so returning from there with nice specimens is possible. A little research should help you locate some good fossil collecting possibilities in Germany. 

20 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

The Messel Pit is now a UESCO World Heritage site and collecting is forbidden, though the pit may be viewed from a nearby observatory platform. Fossils from the Pit may be seen displayed  in local museums. I visited southern Germany last year and collected at nine sites that were accessible. I brought back a number of fossils, primarily ammonites, so returning from there with nice specimens is possible. A little research should help you locate some good fossil collecting possibilities in Germany. 

It's been a World Heritage Site since 1995. That's almost 23 years ago now.:faint:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

18 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Concerning messel everything jeffryp said is true. The pit is strongly guarded and every attempt to dig will be handled and prosecuted as a criminal act. Keep in mind that every country (Saxonia, ..) has it's own laws concerning fossil hunting. Furthermore the new cultural heritage law needs to be respected which is valid for whole Germany. I strongly recommend to liaise with local collectors and to study the laws before. Nevertheless there are enough nice spots to hunt.

I am honestly not familar with the Messel pit and locations near Frankfurt. There are tours into the Messel pit, but you cant dig there. The visitor centre is often totally crowded and the exhibition there is very small. But the Senkenberg museum is indeed great!!

I know a good location "near" Basel, the quarry Schümel in Holderbank. You drive 50 minutes from Basel to Holderbank. Its a paradise for invertebrate collectors, because you can find easily hundreds of ammonites, belemnites, brachiopods, sea urchins etc. (sea urchins are a bit rarer). I was mainly interested in finding shark teeth. But they are very rare. Here is a good (german) pdf:

http://www.mffa.ch/Begleitheft zur Exkursion.pdf

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

58 minutes ago, jpc said:

also close to Basel is Liesberg.  

Yes thats right. But I think Holderbank is a bit better for a family. For sure you can find in Holderbank much more and much easier fossils. In Liesberg you have to work a bit ;) 

1 hour ago, jpc said:

also close to Basel is Liesberg.  

Have to extend that album but I was too busy in the past ...

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Southern Germany has lots of great fossil sites and museums.  

Indeed.

@puppa_bear will you also visit some locations in Bavaria?

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

On ‎19‎.‎11‎.‎2018 at 2:26 PM, caldigger said:

But I want to dig in THAT fossil site Daddy!!!!

20181119_052326.png

Sorry honey, no way....:D

Archived