London Rock & Mineral Show

Kane

Spent a few hours today at the annual London Rock and Mineral show. Most of the vendors specialize in minerals and jewellery, but a few had some fossils. I am not sure about posting images from the specific vendor tables without their permission, but the fossils were mostly what one would expect at shows like these: polished Moroccan orthocerids, Madagascaran ammonites, the usual trilobites, and the GR fish plates.

Just a glance down one of the aisles:

IMG_5288.JPG

Although I have a digital copy of Trilobites of New York, I'm still a bibliophile of the first water, and sometimes nothing quite beats having a physical book in hand. This is an unopened copy I bought for a very fair price:

IMG_5293.JPG

But perhaps the highlight of the visit was talking to two vendors who were also local collectors. We talked about our collecting spots and traded a few stories. One of the vendors actually knew Charlie Southworth personally. Of course, after spending some time in conversation it only felt appropriate to make a purchase. So my only fossil purchase was this cephalon of Eldredgeops iowensis southworthi (since we were, after all, talking about Charlie Southworth!). Although just a cephalon, the size is impressive. 

IMG_5294.JPG

So, not a "major" shopping excursion, but pleasant. Definitely the best part was the conversation with the veteran collectors, swapping names (of fossils, sites, and collectors we know). Good to get out of the house on this snowy day, and even better to return home for some hearty, homemade lentil soup. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice additions, Kane. 

Cool stuff. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice cephalon!

Lentil soup oh boy, I think I'll make some(cold here too).

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Thanks, all. :)

12 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Nice cephalon!

Lentil soup oh boy, I think I'll make some(cold here too).

It’s been simmering all day so the flavours of all the veggies can mingle. Perfect on a chilly day! :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The book is a great purchase Kane. A must have for a serious trilo collector!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 18/11/2018 at 6:44 PM, Kane said:

Spent a few hours today at the annual London Rock and Mineral show. Most of the vendors specialize in minerals and jewellery, but a few had some fossils. I am not sure about posting images from the specific vendor tables without their permission, but the fossils were mostly what one would expect at shows like these: polished Moroccan orthocerids, Madagascaran ammonites, the usual trilobites, and the GR fish plates.

Just a glance down one of the aisles:

IMG_5288.JPG

Although I have a digital copy of Trilobites of New York, I'm still a bibliophile of the first water, and sometimes nothing quite beats having a physical book in hand. This is an unopened copy I bought for a very fair price:

IMG_5293.JPG

But perhaps the highlight of the visit was talking to two vendors who were also local collectors. We talked about our collecting spots and traded a few stories. One of the vendors actually knew Charlie Southworth personally. Of course, after spending some time in conversation it only felt appropriate to make a purchase. So my only fossil purchase was this cephalon of Eldredgeops iowensis southworthi (since we were, after all, talking about Charlie Southworth!). Although just a cephalon, the size is impressive. 

IMG_5294.JPG

So, not a "major" shopping excursion, but pleasant. Definitely the best part was the conversation with the veteran collectors, swapping names (of fossils, sites, and collectors we know). Good to get out of the house on this snowy day, and even better to return home for some hearty, homemade lentil soup. :) 

Cool addition. I live just outside London and I admit I wasn’t aware of such a show. For a theropod or dinosaur tooth collector like myself is it worth going next year in your opinion?

1 minute ago, paulyb135 said:

Ohhhhh:ighappy: ...... :doh!::blink: 

We don’t get many good fossil show in the UK do we:(

12 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

We don’t get many good fossil show in the UK do we:(

Unfortunately not! When I saw London my eyes shot up! I guess it makes it a challenge for us less fortunate Brit’s 

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

We don’t get ANY!

I know how it is, unfortunately. :(

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

What country do you live in @abyssunder?

Romania, of course, but this region belonged to Hungary once, so in Europe.
Do you think that in my country are lots of mineral and fossil shows?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived