Flattened mollusk: heteromorph ammonite or gastropod?

Max-fossils

Hi everyone,

This little guy comes from Carniol, France. It is from the "Gargasian", Aptian, Cretaceous.

Surprisingly, unlike most other finds (so everything except for belemnites), this one doesn't seem pyritized...

Anyways. It's pretty flat (because of geological processes flattening it; my gut feeling says that naturally it is meant to be much rounder).

Now I'm really not sure if this is a weird heteromorph ammonite or a weird gastropod. 

I would guess that it is a gastropod simply because they are much more common, but it just looks so weird that I'm stumped.

Hopefully you guys can solve my little mystery!

If better pictures are needed, which will probably be the case, I will make them. 

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

It could be a cephalopod, although I have no idea!!

Nice find!!

-Ramon

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I'd say gastropod.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

18 minutes ago, Ramon said:

It could be a cephalopod, although I have no idea!!

Nice find!!

-Ramon

Thanks!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

My first thought is a gastropod.

1 minute ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I'd say gastropod.

Thinking with common sense that does seem to be the more sensible opinion. But I can't think of any similar gastropods with that sculpture! :headscratch:

The pictures here are despicable, newer ones are definitely needed. I'll get these up asap. 

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

The pictures here are despicable, newer ones are definitely needed. I'll get these up asap. 

Let's see those, then we can decide.

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

7 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Let's see those, then we can decide.

Here they are:

B2FBF391-FB35-42BE-8FDC-0639932EDA0D.jpeg

70423167-6244-4432-BD69-9C4EDC986533.jpeg

Max Derème

The structure doesn’t look like any gastropod that I know of...

55A6858F-A618-40FC-8EDF-5009DCA8AA64.jpeg

4E05E2FB-BD10-42A2-9261-29CD8922FBB7.jpeg

67C65833-4699-497D-BA5D-6B08D02FE8F5.jpeg

464800D7-148F-421A-8D24-1D18742E8EE3.jpeg

Max Derème

These pictures should give all the necessary detail (I hope)

86077F62-A155-4DBB-B055-E598ECA1817A.jpeg

FB91DEFE-DDEA-4424-BC16-9FA5B472ECF1.jpeg

B8EDB6C4-0138-4104-9585-30F5ECE3EAF2.jpeg

4B781E54-2727-49DF-ADA6-ED06F17440A3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

I'm not sure, but I think gastropod. 

The pointy bit at the back looks like it could be part of the columella. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

looks like a gastropod to me. Similar to this Miocene one.image.thumb.png.e3365414717170c414bb71588f02a896.png

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think almost certainly gastropod too. As far as I can find out, you don't get turrilitid heteromorphs until the Albian.

Tarquin

I'm with Tarquin on this, to early for turrilitid ammonoids.

Also no suture lines

so I would say gastropod.

Might be something like "Cerithium aptiense" but I'm not sure

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Ok thanks everyone for the help! That last point about the age pretty much concludes the topic I believe. Gastropod it is! :yay-smiley-1:

Thank you all!

Max Derème

3 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

this might also be helpful, I don't know If you found this on the net:

http://le-coin-a-fossiles.fr/Gargasien.html

Ah this website is awesome! I just got nearly all my stuff IDd. Thank you so much Kevin! :fistbump:

Max Derème

Can we have an apical view?

(It's definitely a gastropod, it has nothing to do with heteromoph ammonites.)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 11/21/2018 at 10:54 PM, abyssunder said:

Can we have an apical view?

(It's definitely a gastropod, it has nothing to do with heteromoph ammonites.)

Sure thing... but what exactly is it? (I'm not yet very familiar with gastropod terms...)

Max Derème

7 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Sure thing... but what exactly is it? (I'm not yet very familiar with gastropod terms...)

It's the middle of the spiral. The pointed part of the shell. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_(mollusc)

Just now, UtahFossilHunter said:

It's the middle of the spiral. The pointed part of the shell. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_(mollusc)

Ok thanks, so here I suppose that @abyssunder wants a view from the top then (looking straight down)?

Most other possible views are already posted.

Max Derème

Just now, Max-fossils said:

Ok thanks, so here I suppose that @abyssunder wants a view from the top then (looking straight down)?

Most likely:P

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

exactly :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

13 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

exactly :)

I'll get that done this weekend!

Max Derème