KimTexan

Trip to the Eagle Ford, Kamp Ranch in memory of Joe Gallo, aka Fruitbat

minnbuckeye
7 hours ago, KimTexan said:

As I remembered that the tears really started flowing

Your story brought tears to my eyes. Unfortunately the  hug is "out of the box" for most people. Something so simple, but something so empowering. 

Mike

Tidgy's Dad

Very moving, Kim. 

Thank you.

JarrodB

I'm so sorry to hear about Joe. He was always helpful and a wealth of knowledge for fossils in our area. Thanks for the sincere post @KimTexan

KimTexan
1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Your story brought tears to my eyes. Unfortunately the  hug is "out of the box" for most people. Something so simple, but something so empowering. 

Mike

I know what you mean about it being out of the comfort zone for most people.

I kind of doubted myself and how some people would take it and wondered whether I should have said that part. I came back here with the intent to edit it out and I saw @Raggedy Man‘s comment and as a result I chose to leave it.

Touch can be powerful.

For a number of years I lead a group one Saturday a month, rain or shine, hot or freezing to go feed the homeless on the streets of Dallas. I’d rally a group of friends, we would make a few dozen sack lunches to take with us. We would solicit dentist for trial size dental hygiene kits or we’d get people to donate old clothing. In winter we’d get blankets, hats, coats, gloves and so on. We’d drive to the downtown area, park our cars, open up the trunks and the homeless would come out of nowhere and swarm us and the food would be gone in 15 minutes. We would sit and visit with the people. It was always a deeply moving experience for me. Their need is so great and the problem is overwhelming. I’d end up asking some of them if I could hug them. They’d seem surprised. They were often horribly smelly and all, but I knew they needed loving kindness. No one ever refused. Some were so deeply touched by it these grown men would start crying. Sometimes their words of impact were deeply moving, then I’d end up crying too.

Touch can be powerful.

Darktooth

Geez, your story got my eyes all teared up.

Innocentx

Thank you, Kim, for this wonderful story.

KimTexan

I thought I should show a few of the other pieces of septarian I found. For all I know they could be from the section that broke off. They look quite different though.

It looks like they have mostly aragonite.

It kind of looks like layers of shells compressed. I’m not sure what kind though.  I have not seen any shells in the Eagle Ford that look like this before. There are a couple good size Inoceramus that I have seen, but they all have ridges. You may not be able to see it very well, but some of the shell layers look like aragonite and others have aragonite leaching out of them.

283E64A4-35EE-4CFB-979D-BAEB184044E5.thumb.jpeg.b6a3476713cf023cef8d6ee55a36d055.jpeg

Here is another one. Some pieces of the shell still have a hint of mother of pearl to them. I am not sure why, but the dark brown  crystals have the greatest appeal to me. Maybe it’s because they remind me of root beer candy. 

That little root beer barrel hard candy use to be a favorite of mine. I think when I was 10 I went to the mall with my family. Something we rarely did. I had $2.00 to spend. There was a store that was having a sale on the root beer candy for 10¢ a package. I think I bought 10 package, as a 10 yr old would do. It took me about a year to go through it all. LOL

You can see shell on the top right that is brown aragonite transitioning into regular shell moving left and transitioning into crystals moving right.

This is the first time I have seen evidence of the process of septarian nodule formation directly from shells. It is a superb example actually. Not so much in pictures, but in person it is. It is unmistakable what is happening.

7367D938-F764-4DBC-AFD2-C27CB40E8F72.thumb.jpeg.1ed95d032e1fcac3ada0db9c1addbb48.jpeg

The Amateur Paleontologist

Thank you for this nice report and tribute to Joe - it was really nice of you to share this.

-Christian 

ynot

Nice report and eulogy Kim.

Also a nice chunk of rock You found.

KimTexan
38 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice report and eulogy Kim.

Also a nice chunk of rock You found.

Thank you. I know where a few others are too. They are very cool, but I have no idea what to do with all of what I have.

The smaller pieces seem to be like multiplying bunnies. I had put small pieces in ziplock bags. I don’t know how many of those bags I had, but I just found the last one last night think.

Raggedy Man
14 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Oh, I like that quote very much!!! Thank you for sharing it. Truly. It expresses in such simple, eloquent language what I have learned about grieving.

I learned about it when I lost my mom in 2012. I wanted to honor her and grieve well. I didn’t know exactly what that meant. She was in hospice dying and this particular evening I needed to get away and sort things out in my head. I was sitting journaling about what it meant to grieve well. It came to me that I had to focused I what I had gained and how I was blessed by her rather than focus on how I wouldn’t be able to talk to her on my drive home from work anymore or see her on holidays and birthdays. . . I determined I was to grieve with gratitude. What a difference it made compared to how I had grieved so many losses over the decades of my life.

In this instance with Joe we could say

“Cry not because he’s gone. Smile because he was here.”

I am on call again. Sometimes it is a hurry up and wait scenario. Hurry up and get into work so you can wait for hours for the organ donor tissue and patient sample to arrive when you could have been sleeping. I got here at 1:30 AM. ETA inconveniently changed to 4:00 AM!

There are no beds in the building where I work. I sure would love to take a nap.

Its helped me through a lot. I think Dr. Seuss said, but im not sure lol.

Plantguy

Thanks Kim..Very very sorry to hear about Joe but appreciate your sharing this thread with all of us. Quite moving. God bless. Here's to you Joe!

Regards, Chris 

KimTexan
4 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Its helped me through a lot. I think Dr. Seuss said, but im not sure lol.

I think it sounds like a perfect line for a Doctor Who episode where someone important dies. 

I was looking who it is attributed in the middle of the night while waiting for my patient and donor samples to arrive and I found a place where it was attributed to Dr. Seuss, after he died though. The earliest attribution was to a German guy, Ludwig Jacobowsk in 1899.

Whatever the case, great quote.

siteseer

Thanks for letting us know, Kim.  You are like my mom.  She's a "hugger" too.  She has a sense when someone could use a hug.  You must me a great mom too.

Jess

Ptychodus04

What a great story @KimTexan. It made me  think back to when I took a similar trip after losing my father. I still feel connected to him when I’m out digging.

Did you know the calcite in those septarians fluoresce rather beautifully? 

9AEC83C9-EBAE-4D2D-9326-C548CA247074.thumb.jpeg.e4346a9f5dbbd0e5aa33fe3f951fb2b0.jpeg

E30E5C56-851E-46FD-870A-B5B49DDA62A2.thumb.jpeg.d5ff387f012467fe719f02b0503eca27.jpeg

lcordova

Hi Kim, I love reading your posts....emotional this one...and wonderful memories.

doushantuo

Kim,that was so fitting...

THX