Jaimin013

Hi there this little tooth is being advertised as a Nuthetes Destructor from the Dromeasauridae family

Size: 1.5cm

I have my doubts about the ID as ND teeth are known for a depression in their crown (see below) although this tooth does have serrations.

The person's reasoning for ID'ing the tooth is that the seller is a paleontologist ! 100% guaranteed. I don't really think that is a valid reason (a few months ago I may have said this was as I would take anybody's word for anything but now that I have been collecting teeth for less than a year I don't think it is!) Even paleontologists can get ID'ing wrong)

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks everyone.

20181119_113716.png

20181119_113809.png

post-10935-0-86009900-1462222613.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

I don’t think it’s a Nuthetus tooth like you’ve stated. There’s hardly any dinosaurs known from teeth in France so I think the closest ID possible would be Theropod or Dromeosaurid

• I found this Informative 3

1 minute ago, Runner64 said:

I don’t think it’s a Nuthetus tooth like you’ve stated. There’s hardly any dinosaurs known from teeth in France so I think the closest ID possible would be Theropod or Dromeosaurid

Hi thanks for confirming good to know someone thinks the same. It's quite pricey for such a small tooth (although teeth are rare from France recently I have seen many) and I need to focus on other teeth so may give it a miss but I like the quality.

50 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Hi thanks for confirming good to know someone thinks the same. It's quite pricey for such a small tooth (although teeth are rare from France recently I have seen many) and I need to focus on other teeth so may give it a miss but I like the quality.

Quality wise I think it’s one of the better from Cherves. Although a little smallp

27 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Quality wise I think it’s one of the better from Cherves. Although a little smallp

thanks!

I'm positive it's a dromaeosaurid tooth :) I have a friend who obtained 3 dromaeosaur teeth from the south-east of France, and he said they were Nuthetes (and they defs looked like the teeth in the Purbeck jaw specimens) - wouldn't entirely rule out the Ndestructor possibility for the tooth you showed. If I were you, I'd buy the tooth ;) Theropod teeth - especially from a dromaeosaur - especially from France - are in my opinion quite a valuable addition to any collection :)

-Christian

• I found this Informative 3

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

16 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

I'm positive it's a dromaeosaurid tooth :) I have a friend who obtained 3 dromaeosaur teeth from the south-east of France, and he said they were Nuthetes (and they defs looked like the teeth in the Purbeck jaw specimens) - wouldn't entirely rule out the Ndestructor possibility for the tooth you showed. If I were you, I'd buy the tooth ;) Theropod teeth - especially from a dromaeosaur - especially from France - are in my opinion quite a valuable addition to any collection :)

-Christian

Hi Christian, thank you so much for the advice! This will be my first dromaeosaur tooth if it is which will be cool and it is from France which is also cool the first tooth from this location in my collection. I really like the tooth as the serrations are in really good condition.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 years later...

14 hours ago, TheDinosaurKing said:

Pyroraptor ??

The gypsum quarries at Cherves are early Cretaceous in age.  Pyroraptor has only been described from late Cretaceous deposits of Southern France

Photos alone cannot be used in identification of a large number of Theropod teeth because of their similarity.  In this case you first need to determine if its a Dromaeosaurid by examining the serrations density.   Then you can examine other characteristics.  

On 5/7/2021 at 7:58 AM, Troodon said:

The gypsum quarries at Cherves are early Cretaceous in age.  Pyroraptor has only been described from late Cretaceous deposits of Southern France

Photos alone cannot be used in identification of a large number of Theropod teeth because of their similarity.  In this case you first need to determine if its a Dromaeosaurid by examining the serrations density.   Then you can examine other characteristics.  

I admit that pyroraptor always comes to my mind when i hear raptor from France. Nuthetes makes more sense.

I actually think this morphology is more typical of Allosaurid especially if the serration density is equivalent on both carinae