Jump to content

Does anyone know if fossils can be imported or exported from India?


Recommended Posts

Have anyone ever brought fossils into or out of India? I am headed there for a few days to give paleontology lessons, and I'll be using my own ammonites, spino teeth, dino bones etc as part of the lessons. Google search didn't show anything about fossils being illegal to be brought in/out, but thought I should still check here.

 

I've emailed their customs already but they are slow to respond. I am guessing that they too are scratching their heads as they've never had anyone ask such a question. That, or they are unwilling to commit an answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

http://dgft.gov.in/itc-hs-schedule-2-export-policy

 

Link of exports allowed.  Not sure on imports, but sounds like you might have trouble getting your fossils out of there unless granted permission.

Sounds like Power Point slides are the way to go...leave the prize specimens at home. Or perhaps the group or persons ordering the lectures can provide specimens...

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps if you go through customs coming in, get documentation these are your possessions being used for educational purposes. So when leaving you have proof of what was brought in and the same items leaving.

Import/ export is usually dealing with goods being sold.

I have dealt with buying a lot of antiquities from India and things seem fairly open on that account.

Fossils I can't answer though, but it is only a matter of transporting in and out of the same pieces, so it will not hurt to inquire.

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, facehugger said:

Sounds like Power Point slides are the way to go...leave the prize specimens at home. Or perhaps the group or persons ordering the lectures can provide specimens...

 

The school specifically asked to see real fossils. They have none unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, caldigger said:

Perhaps if you go through customs coming in, get documentation these are your possessions being used for educational purposes. So when leaving you have proof of what was brought in and the same items leaving.

Import/ export is usually dealing with goods being sold.

I have dealt with buying a lot of antiquities from India and things seem fairly open on that account.

Fossils I can't answer, but it is only a matter of transporting in and out of the same pieces, so it will not hurt to inquire.

 

Good advise.

 

I've been trying to get some kind of documentation in regards to fossil import/export but their custom office is slow to reply. I guess they are worried, or are simply confused as they've probably never had anyone ask this before.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I just went to "the auction site" and looked up "fossils from India" and scrolled through 5 pages of nothing but minerals. I am not seeing anything of actual fossil!

They might not export them for sale, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to put on a presentation with some.

Are there other channels you can go through to get some answers other than the customs office?

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about bringing some lesser fossils with the intent to leave them with the school?

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ynot said:

How about bringing some lesser fossils with the intent to leave them with the school?

Have you seen Andy's collection?!!!

I don't think he has any lesser/ low quality fossils. :drool:

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Have you seen Andy's collection?!!!

I don't think he has any lesser/ low quality fossils. :drool:

:doh!:

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, caldigger said:

Wow, I just went to "the auction site" and looked up "fossils from India" and scrolled through 5 pages of nothing but minerals. I am not seeing anything of actual fossil!

They might not export them for sale, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to put on a presentation with some.

Are there other channels you can go through to get some answers other than the customs office?

 

I was told that a university or professor could help. However, this was not done in collaboration with any of them, so I doubt any professor would write a report for me out of the blue.

 

3 hours ago, taj said:

oi,oi , no temporary  import into India please , this is the road to hell ....

 

Hi, could you explain more please.

 

3 hours ago, ynot said:

How about bringing some lesser fossils with the intent to leave them with the school?

 

I sent a list of 10 fossils I would be bringing to the customs office, so I am unsure if it's wise to change my list at so late a stage.

 

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

Have you seen Andy's collection?!!!

I don't think he has any lesser/ low quality fossils. :drool:

 

Surely you jest!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy: I have spent several years living in India. You will never get a straight answer on what you can bring there and take out, and even if you do, it will be different when you get to customs. It will be a gamble. Don't bring anything you place a high value on. Good luck!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy

 

Straight import or export could be managed , but the guys over there are terrified people use temporary import / export to import with lower costs in disguise , so they will drown you in paperwork , then tell you once there you have not the correct paperworks .. ( +1 with Steelhead ) .Unless you want to spend all of your time discussing with customs , forget the idea ...

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

euh....

is this the place to discuss the efforts of hardworking civil servants?

Or legal/administrative procedure?

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2018 at 12:31 AM, taj said:

Hi Andy

 

Straight import or export could be managed , but the guys over there are terrified people use temporary import / export to import with lower costs in disguise , so they will drown you in paperwork , then tell you once there you have not the correct paperworks .. ( +1 with Steelhead ) .Unless you want to spend all of your time discussing with customs , forget the idea ...

 

Thank you. I will most likely bring low risk fossils like ammonites, fish on plates, and at most a Spino tooth in my luggage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, quick update. Everything turned out okay. The customs folks searched through my bags, but accepted I was bringing them out for educational purposes.

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very glad it all worked out okay, Andy! :)

I was a little concerned about this. 

Fair play to the sensible chaps at Customs. 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...