Vertebrae found in our loft!!? What is it please?

Staceycakes

Hi,

I’ve just joined this site in the hope somebody can help me to identify what we have just found in our loft! 

We’ve only just bought the property so I’ve no idea where they came from or why they’re there. We’re very intreagyed to find out which animal they belonged to so any advice and information would be hugely appreciated! 

I have a number of photos but they appear to be too big so I’ll see if I can work out how to upload more. To me, it looks like two vertebrae that have been a little squashed together and we also have a separate disc shaped item that I’ll try to upload a photo of.

I look forward to hear from you 

Best wishes, 

Stacey

399A0BFD-3CCD-47FD-98A3-BE9C03CB9EBC.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

I agree the flatter specimen looks like ichthyosaur and if they both came from the same area the other is most likely pliosaur.

Photos taken square on from the ends and side would make giving an accurate ID easier.

Think of the specimens like a dice and take photos that only show one surface at a time.

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

On 11/19/2018 at 3:17 PM, Staceycakes said:

image.jpg

How kind of the previous owner to leave bones of an ancient sea creature for you!

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

It’s so bizarre! It may be the previous owner or an owner before them. They were found under under some insulation. I’m now wondering what else might be up there! 

Its very fascinating.

The one that is thin is an ichthyosaur. The one that is longer, than it is wide is probably a plesiosaur vertebrae.

• I found this Informative 2

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2018 at 6:06 PM, Ramon said:

The one that is thin is an ichthyosaur. The one that is longer, than it is wide is probably a plesiosaur vertebrae.

I’m sure @Ramon is right, I think I can also see signs of pyrite decay. If that’s the case it would be wise to wash your hands after handling the vertebrae.

Great finds.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

+1 for ichthyo (smaller one)

Bigger one needs view of the side to tell more. Probably some verts together (partly spine of ichtyo) or one vert from a bigger beast - more fotos needed.

Third object is simple chert - no fossil.

I'm not an expert on artifacts, but i do not see any signs for being an artifact - @Harry Pristis may know for sure...

It appears to be the right material for a NA artifact -- a large flake of chert.  I don't detect any pressure flaking, but the projections on the piece may have been used as gravers on a single use tool.  Which Plymouth do you call home, Staceycakes -- Florida? Mass.? England?

scraperunifacegraver.JPG

spokeshavetrio.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

4 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It appears to be the right material for a NA artifact -- a large flake of chert.  I don't detect any pressure flaking, but the projections on the piece may have been used as gravers on a single use tool.  Which Plymouth do you call home, Staceycakes -- Florida? Mass.? England?

It appears that Staceycakes is in the UK. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

It appears that Staceycakes is in the UK. 

In that case, I am much less confident in my suggestion of possible Native American artifact.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest