rough idea about the age?

blackmoth

T3 of Beijing international airport. All the restroom walls have limestone plates with fossil-like features.

I am not sure even they are fossils or not, as some of them have the outlook----instead of cross sections----of typical fossils.

If they are indeed fossils, what is a good guess of its age?

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

Those are fossils, probably of bivalves. But I agree with @ynot, unless you know where the rocks came from you can’t know the age. 

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

14 hours ago, Ramon said:

Those are fossils, probably of bivalves. But I agree with @ynot, unless you know where the rocks came from you can’t know the age. 

which one looks like a bivalve?

3 hours ago, blackmoth said:

which one looks like a bivalve?

Most of them could be pieces of bivalves, especially last one. 

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

On 11/20/2018 at 12:53 PM, Ramon said:

Most of them could be pieces of bivalves, especially last one. 

Could you elaborate a little bit? I have no idea what a cross section of bivalve would look like.  When I look at them, things like worma(fusulina) , amonites or even shrimps and snails came into my mind, but no bivalves.

2 hours ago, blackmoth said:

Could you elaborate a little bit? I have no idea what a cross section of bivalve would look like.  When I look at them, things like worma(fusulina) , amonites or even shrimps and snails came into my mind, but no bivalves.

Its impossible to know what exactly those fossils where, because they are only cross sections.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:25 PM, Ramon said:

Its impossible to know what exactly those fossils where, because they are only cross sections.

not to ID any particular fossil. I just could not see any bivalve cross section , with little experience. In my imagination,  a plane

cutting through a common bivalve shell, would look like any of the two figures in the pic

bivalve.gif

12 minutes ago, blackmoth said:

not to ID any particular fossil. I just could not see any bivalve cross section , with little experience. In my imagination,  a plane

cutting through a common bivalve shell, would look like any of the two figures in the pic

bivalve.gif

Take a look at these bivalves in thin sections. This is what the would look like if we cut at random planes.BRANCHIOPODE-IMG_00701-1024x682.jpeg9DB-Purbeck-Marble-Thin-Section-lab.jpg

01APASNC?imageId=14513644&imageCode=01AP

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I also see at least one gastropod.

But most of this looks like fragmented pieces that are cut in cross section, so not many whole cross section views.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:24 AM, UtahFossilHunter said:

Take a look at these bivalves in thin sections. This is what the would look like if we cut at random planes.BRANCHIOPODE-IMG_00701-1024x682.jpeg9DB-Purbeck-Marble-Thin-Section-lab.jpg

01APASNC?imageId=14513644&imageCode=01AP

I agree, Bivalve cross sections can have almost any shape

Archived