Buying unprepped fossil fish from Lebanon

RJB

I was thinkin af buying some fish from lebanon and all I could find on the internet were fish already prepped and all in America or the UK.  How does one find fossil fish of Lebanon from he source? 

RB

Most of the Lebanon fishes and associated fossils offered for sale have been collected by 1 or 2 Lebanese families and 3 Italian fossil dealers. Very few pieces are collected in a condition that those familiar with the Green River fishes would call unprepared. Nearly all are splits. The pieces that need significant preparation (beyond uncovering the ends of fins, etc.) are mostly those that are broken and need glued and repair along the cracks, etc. The elite few that are recovered completely matrix covered go to the collectors labs for prep, because they generally cannot be identified until they are exposed, and they will be the best specimens found.  The tremendous variety of fishes found at the sites means that a sale unprepared might be something very rare sold for a very common price.

Bob

On 11/20/2018 at 11:00 AM, rfarrar said:

Most of the Lebanon fishes and associated fossils offered for sale have been collected by 1 or 2 Lebanese families and 3 Italian fossil dealers. Very few pieces are collected in a condition that those familiar with the Green River fishes would call unprepared. Nearly all are splits. The pieces that need significant preparation (beyond uncovering the ends of fins, etc.) are mostly those that are broken and need glued and repair along the cracks, etc. The elite few that are recovered completely matrix covered go to the collectors labs for prep, because they generally cannot be identified until they are exposed, and they will be the best specimens found.  The tremendous variety of fishes found at the sites means that a sale unprepared might be something very rare sold for a very common price.

Thanks Bob.  The thing is, I ran into a guy about 4 years ago that did have some unprepped specimens but I didnt have the moneys to purchace them.  Now I wish I would have saved his contact info.  and there used to be a guy named 'Roy' that sold alot of unprepped stuff.  Same thing.  No contact info.  Looks like this could be a chore? 

RB

Archived