sTamprockcoin

For all of us that are feeling the the effects of crystallized hydrogen dioxide here's a photo of a Silurian-Bloomsburg Formation shale bed (this frame of view is about 3 sq/ft). The hillside road cut site is few miles  from me and a great place to sit on a  sunny afternoon. Here's the fun part this spot is loaded with weathering out brachipods, coiled & spiraled gastropods, straight shelled cephalopods, corals, crinoids etc.  I collected over 15 different fossils from this one site.  Most (except the cephalopods & some corals)  are small enough to sit on a fingernail with room to spare! Have fun on a virtual (photo) fossil hunt.

Fossil Hunt 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

It is in Blair County, Pa. South Central PA. Let me know what you think. If this should be moved somewhere else let a Mod know.

• I found this Informative 5

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

That looks pretty enticing to me. Lucky you who has easy access to it. Would love to see some of those specimens cleaned up.

Very interesting. :)

I too would be most interested in seeing some of the specimens from there.

(especially the brachiopods) . 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

This gives me the itch. Fossils look to be in good shape here. Curious what this is. 

Capture.JPG.ec8cde3cbd61040bd502e8381ad0afdd.JPG

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The orange thing was either trash from recent construction, a larval case, or bird? poop. Sorry, I don't remember. Yes, the fossils weather out for the easy picking no tools required. Difficult to prep since the casts are only slightly harder than the matrix.Handfulls of the shale chips are full of the fossils. I've filled a large fast food drink cup in an hour. I'll post some of the individual fossils tommorow. 

• I found this Informative 1

29 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

This gives me the itch. Fossils look to be in good shape here. Curious what this is. 

Looks to be a snail 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Quite possible. 

They really are just falling out. Are the fossils calcareous or silicious? 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Calcareous. 

Here's some that I picked up. I'm no good at prepping so I leave them as is since they're casts there is little identifying detail. The largest spiral broke on the way home. 

Goodies spread out.jpg

Jar of goodies.jpg

Brachs.jpg

Cephalapod ends.jpg

Sprialed gastropods.jpg

• I found this Informative 4