DeepTimeIsotopes

A bit of a weird trip yesterday. I combined two hobbies at the same time. You may have seen me wondering what fossil hunting was like on a boat. So I tried the desert version of a canoe: a mountain bike. This is part of the ongoing research on Fossils of Stansbury Island that @Earth Chemistry is conducting there (See thread here). I packed my bike and back pack and drove to the southern tip of the island. We had these layers down before my trip. Red is no fossils, green is fossils.

1542813220113.thumb.jpeg.f0e0deef0145785b92876ad9ca4246e2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I climbed up the first hill to the Pioche "Shale" and found... nothing except this view.  

IMG_5122.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Next up was the Stansbury Formation and Laketown Dolomite. Neither had anything.IMG_5123.thumb.JPG.1b34c623ec90ea31afd0835e4b1b9390.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

A desert island in a sea of salt waterIMG_5116.thumb.JPG.3f8309bbcd643a5ab5f3e3361da00d8e.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Here's the trailhead. 

IMG_5170.thumb.JPG.f687de9013a2f3068254ff35737b4ba0.JPG

Even though the Prospect Mountain Quartzite has no fossils in it, it can be beautiful at times.IMG_5120.thumb.JPG.2924b55d9e65805067841bad1cbca688.JPG

Next up, I went to the northern end of the island to see if I can find a trail to the other side of the island. That was a no go. Too many mining companies in the way. But you could see the various Lake Bonneville levels.IMG_5124.thumb.JPG.d9dbdd63ebfffc3430e240c635443293.JPG

No fossils in hand and running out of daylight, I decided to check out one last place. A "short" (distance wise not effort wise) ride up to the Madison Limestone. IMG_5126.thumb.JPG.a16f55551892ef24a6edac6969d03794.JPG

Sand is not the ideal mountain biking material.

Further up at the top of the Madison was this viewIMG_5127.thumb.JPG.7c5673e40353937760b077279a1b1fc5.JPG

And these fossils!

IMG_5141.thumb.JPG.71b219b75d79ecee95d50024d4c9fc7e.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

IMG_5143.thumb.JPG.589543b763e8c680a1eaf4b0433c82f2.JPG

Gastropods, and Rugose corals

• I found this Informative 2

A top view of a rugose coral

IMG_5144.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

One layer is absolutely chuck full of stuff

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5146.thumb.JPG.34fe770fb8288cd630bae1dd0e70fe44.JPG

tons and tons of brachipods and gastropods

Some more findsIMG_5147.thumb.JPG.e4e63e43dc1e2917f67239e258244363.JPG

Another Rugose coral

This weird looking thingIMG_5151.thumb.JPG.ce39e9794e54f6ca94341cb22b113d87.JPG

Most likely it's a Rugose coral cut at a weird angle.

Some in situ photos of fossils I couldn't take homeIMG_5173.thumb.JPG.04d7d3a66984af5cfe19bc30850e805c.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

Even some worm burrows joined the partyIMG_5148.thumb.JPG.695b09997924bf5e39a77a651479b8d2.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

As I was heading out, I took a couple extra photos for those who like landscape picturesIMG_5134.thumb.JPG.c72163dcbbed4e7ccc5e33ff8757eacd.JPG

The Great Salt Lake was well behaved today to allow this picture. Excuse the reflection of my hand on the window.

• I found this Informative 7

Great pics.....I used to mountain bike when I lived in Maryland. Down here there's barely even a hill lol:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I will end off things with the panoramic picture.FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.184b6fb23352b7b442002025a7aa31bc.jpg

Thanks for reading!

• I found this Informative 6

For those keeping score, here's an updated stratigraphy column.1542813177524.thumb.jpeg.7da2be584c1a4024568bae8f59ec63af.jpeg

Looks like a fun day exploring.

Many of those fossils seem to be silicified, the way they stand out from the rock.  With care they could probably be etched from the rock with acetic acid (i.e. vinegar if you can't get anything more concentrated) or hydrochloric acid (available as muriatic acid in the paint section of many hardware/home renovation type stores).  If you have not done this before ask for guidance.

Don

1 hour ago, jcbshark said:

Great pics.....I used to mountain bike when I lived in Maryland. Down here there's barely even a hill lol:)

Thanks! There's almost too much hill here. I was on the brakes the whole way down.

35 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Pretty good photography,Utah!:dinothumb:

Thank you! It's easy in a beautiful place like this.

31 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Looks like a fun day exploring.

Many of those fossils seem to be silicified, the way they stand out from the rock.  With care they could probably be etched from the rock with acetic acid (i.e. vinegar if you can't get anything more concentrated) or hydrochloric acid (available as muriatic acid in the paint section of many hardware/home renovation type stores).  If you have not done this before ask for guidance.

Don

They are silcified. I haven't tried to etch it before. I have muriatic acid for some concrete etching. I'll look into it.