Pen not starting?

LiamL

Yesterday i did some maintenance on my tool. I opened my TT pen and added some oil and cleaned the inside and tip. Today when i plugged it in, it started at first then after 30 seconds just blows air and doesnt boot up or make any noise

i've opened and closed it afew times but still nothing, any ideas? 

Thanks,

Liam

Photo 21-11-2018, 3 21 25 pm.jpg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Make sure the housing is tightened all the way.  I ran into that problem a few years ago.  If not that, open it up slightly and tap it against a piece of wood or something. sometimes that will get it started. If not, open it up more so to get more airflow and tap it again.   Good luck

RB

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Make sure the housing is tightened all the way.  I ran into that problem a few years ago.  If not that, open it up slightly and tap it against a piece of wood or something. sometimes that will get it started. If not, open it up more so to get more airflow and tap it again.   Good luck

RB

I wonder if i put too much oil in it?

I tried tapping with my finger, will try doing it again with something harder.

1 minute ago, LiamL said:

I wonder if i put too much oil in it?

I would dought that very much, but heck, take it apart, clean it up, put it back together and see what happens?  I so use very little oil with mine.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

@LiamL.  Also, I only oil mine with about 2 or 3 drops at the beginning of the hose, not the machine itself. and that will last me about a week or so depending on how much I use it.

RB

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, RJB said:

@LiamL.  Also, I only oil mine with about 2 or 3 drops at the beginning of the hose, not the machine itself. and that will last me about a week or so depending on how much I use it.

RB

Should i open the pen up and leave it open overnight to dry it off in my garage?

Try the tapping method.  Tap the tool (NOT the working tip) on the work bench and it should start up... I hope.  Your finger is not hard enough.  

edit: tap it when it has air blowing out.  

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, jpc said:

Try the tapping method.  Tap the tool (NOT the working tip) on the work bench and it should start up... I hope.  Your finger is not hard enough.  

Ohh yes, good idea. I will try this tomorrow. Sounds promising i've been doing it and then switching on.

10 hours ago, jpc said:

This usually works when I have a stall. Sometimes scribes can be a bit touchy. I’m like @RJB, I add a few drops of oil to the inlet hose for every 6-8 hours of use.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the tap/bang on the side technique but it didnt work. Turned out that the oil i added had basically made the piston get stuck. I had to open it up and give it a good clean. Then on the switch side use a matchstick push the piston down the barrel. 

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, LiamL said:

I tried the tap/bang on the side technique but it didnt work. Turned out that the oil i added had basically made the piston get stuck. I had to open it up and give it a good clean. Then on the switch side use a matchstick push the piston down the barrel. 

What oil are you using? I use pneumatic tool oil as it has a pretty low viscosity as compared to some other oils.

When working on the aircraft, we used airtools exclusively ( can't use electrical tools on a metal plane) die grinders, rivet guns, cutters, etc. every day, all day.

The oil always went into the hose inlet port.

We used pneumatic tool oils as well as an occasional few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil which is extra low viscosity to lube every part of that tool.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

What oil are you using? I use pneumatic tool oil as it has a pretty low viscosity as compared to some other oils.

The one that came with the maker of the pen, ken manion.

On 02/12/2018 at 9:50 AM, Ludwigia said:

Why don't you just tell Ken about your problem?

I did! He provided me with the solution.

Just sharing incase anyone else runs into a similar problem.

• I found this Informative 2