Found at low tide ocean

Jzybeach

I agree.

This looks like a broken but well worn piece of mammalian shoulder girdle/scapula.

Seal or dolphin? 

@Boesse

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I agree with a mammal bone part.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Looking at the photos the edge exposing the inner of the bone looks to flat to be a natural break.

I suspect this is a saw cut edge  so the animal would most likely be a domestic type animal and not that old.

So will not be fossilised and the colouration would be due to tanins and the like in the water.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

40 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

saw cut edge

I disagree, I think this definitely could be a fossil with the edge tumbled down, if you look closely you can see that the edge is not perfect and probably did belong to an ancient marine mammal.

43 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Looking at the photos the edge exposing the inner of the bone looks to flat to be a natural break.

I suspect this is a saw cut edge  so the animal would most likely be a domestic type animal and not that old.

So will not be fossilised and the colouration would be due to tanins and the like in the water.

Mike

Looks like a fossil to me.

Tap it with a spoon. If it rings like fine china it is. If it's a lower pitch it's most likely is modern. 

1 hour ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

The shape of this bone would have a snowshoe effect meaning slightly less pressure/area would compress the sediment beneath it until relatively late in diagenesis. Perhaps it could create the force to snap it this way ?

Thanks to all for your feedback. Did the burn test and no smell , sorta sounds like china. As a novice I’m still unsure however I’m very curious and appreciate all your help! 

• 3 weeks later...

I am skeptical that this is not a saw mark, but we don't have an edge-on view. Looks like a land mammal to me.