FossilsAnonymous

Hello. I found this tooth today at Matoaka and wanted to get a different perspective than mine. This tooth seems way old for the Choptank formation. First, it seems like a Paleocene tooth snuck in to a Miocene formation. To me, it seems more like otodus obliqqus than hastalis. Reason? Cusps. My tooth has more pronounced, albeit worn down cusps than any I've seen on hastalis. All i'm trying to say is that it is very different and uncommon and would like to know what it is.

Tooth.

IMG_3151.thumb.jpg.2e19ae35ad5936ab9a8e2b665e6a6b51.jpg

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Can you try and take a better pic? This one is too blurry. I can see what looks like small cusps but a better pic would help.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I doubt it's otodus just based on location, it could be a lateral hastalis or mako but I'll defer to others on this one.

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Can you try and take a better pic? This one is too blurry. I can see what looks like small cusps but a better pic would help.

Sure. My device is being funny at the moment so it may take around ten minutes while I fix it... Stand by.

Brightened and Cropped:

IMG_3160.jpg.a7c6945261da2bffc92af0e8536c926a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I second C. hastalis. Otodus teeth typically have a sort of bourlette (as seen in all teeth of the megatooth shark lineage) and larger cusps in relatively to the whole tooth.

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

I agree with the Mako assessment. I have one with cusps, though they are quite small.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

10 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I agree with the Mako assessment. I have one with cusps, though they are quite small.

10 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

I second C. hastalis. Otodus teeth typically have a sort of bourlette (as seen in all teeth of the megatooth shark lineage) and larger cusps in relatively to the whole tooth.

11 hours ago, ynot said:

Sone Carcharodon hastalis teeth do have pronounced cusps, particularly the smaller ones.

And I think it is a C. hastalis.

Thanks. I had heard rumors recently of people in the area actually finding older teeth that slipped down from a different formation. Of course I forget bourette:doh!: but thanks all for helping out. It turned out to be a nice tooth in the end.