Double Hadrosaur Eggs

Darren Smith1966

I have collected a number of fossils and minerals over the last 30 years and keen to make a plunge at purchasing some Fossil eggs.

i have seen a pair of Hadrosaur eggs due for sale at auction but really concerned to know if they are fake.  Read a few posts on this.

i have posted a pic keen to get any views

size is 22 cm long states evidence of “leathery surface”

thanks  

2EF080BD-D487-4643-BB60-01BCBE636182.thumb.png.259582b11694f70dae478474ea4778c6.png

I don't think you are allowed to link or show the website or mention any seller names here, but you can post a picture of just the fossil itself. 

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Moved to "Is it Real" .

Better pictures would be needed to make any determination.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

That picture is indeed not nearly clear enough to make a proper judgement. But with just this photo I would think this is slightly suspicious looking.

And the "leathery surface" description is also suspicious. Real dinosaur eggs should not have a leathery surface as they had calcified hard shells.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks for commenting guys.  I wasn’t sure but will take your advice and avoid .  I did read that often two eggs are placed together on the same sediment.     Is their a good place to go to buy more certified specimens ?  I live in the UK. 

Thanks. 

That is definitely a fake egg. Fresh from the Factory.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Eggs are going to be a difficult one. Anything that is offered for sale an is located overseas is more than likely going to be fake. Your best chance is a specimen that was collected 20+ years ago from a reputable dealer or private collector. Not saying you might not luck out and get a newer one online. But if you look at most of the ads and auctions, the specimens are located in China, Hong Kong, and so on. At that point, save your money and buy a casting instead.

Sincerely, J

A very common example of mass produced fake eggs.  You can see this example and more in this thread I started a few years ago.

The instant I looked at these I thought "fake".  Nice to see others who agree.  Amazing how many fakes in the world!

RB

Archived