Need help identifying a group of spherical fossils | Solved : Iron Concretion

Alexander D.G

I found this one at the Jurassic Coast along side some other fossils. The fossil is about 2.5 cm wide and is heavier than it looks (tried a magnet but it had no effect on it). The second picture is a close up of a crack at the side (top right on the first picture), from what i could make out it looked like pyrite which is most likely becuase i also found a pyritised ammonite on the same beach. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for the fast reply, i found some similar concretions when i looked it up, not a fossil but still a cool looking rock.

• Alexander D.G changed the title to Need help identifying a group of spherical fossils | Solved : Iron Concretion

This looks like a good candidate to contemplate the involvement of bacteria in it's formation. I'm not sure it has ever been suggested that it would mean this would qualify as a fossil  though.

Don't know a lot about the involvement of bacteria in the creation of concretions, why would you think that might have been the case here?

Edited by Alexander D.G

5 minutes ago, Alexander D.G said:

Thank you for your analysis, hadn't even considered the idea of bacteria being involved.

It most likely wouldn't be the kind of bacteria your soap promises to kill most of. I really don't know too much about it, but I think anaerobic bacteria involving sulfides is mentioned.