Ptychodus Tooth Plate

LanceH

I did have the chance to go visit the SMU labs, and it was great. The only thing that got me is that EVERYTHING is in cabnets either in the basement or in labs. And the public will never see them. It was a cool place to visit, but I would have never had the invite unless I didnt find something they wanted to look at. Im not bashing the donation thing, Im just saying its not for me. BUT If I did find something that was no doubt priceless, Like a skull of a Mosasaur, you know they would have first chance at it.

My understanding was that they had a museum there that you could go see, and they put things on display for the public to see, and they do not have that, (OR i just didnt see it) Im sure some of mine piece will end up there, but thats when im sick of them

-my 2 cents

like i said. i don't care if my name gets in print or they name a dinosaur after me. i have had my stuff published all over the planet. i am not a fossil guy but i do keep what i find no matter what it is. i do not mind helping science but i would think some rich SMU alumni could throw some duckets my way! ha! ha! i put this fossil in a safe deposit box because it scared me with all the attention it is getting. it can sit there forever as far as i am concerned. it is really starting to bother me. i will let my nephew inherit the thing and he can do with it what he wants.

Stuart, I can definitely understand your position. That said, it couldn't hurt to speak with Shawn Hamm, or whoever, about whether they are interested in making a cast for themselves (in addition to extensive photos). Since you want to keep it, at least they could have something for reference material...just a thought. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

i have not heard from him since i got that email. i had no idea that this thing was being talked about all over the internet. they do not want a cast. they want it to x-ray and get the information that they do not have and i guess they do not study it unless they have the actual thing and they can't publish thier findings unless they can touch it. i do understand that. i though i posted this before but my question to all of you out there is.... you are collectors of this stuff and you like to find and possess them. what would you do with this thing? honest answers only please.

like i said. i don't care if my name gets in print or they name a dinosaur after me. i have had my stuff published all over the planet. i am not a fossil guy but i do keep what i find no matter what it is. i do not mind helping science but i would think some rich SMU alumni could throw some duckets my way! ha! ha! i put this fossil in a safe deposit box because it scared me with all the attention it is getting. it can sit there forever as far as i am concerned. it is really starting to bother me. i will let my nephew inherit the thing and he can do with it what he wants.

If you are wanting to sell it, just let me know. I know there are a few of use that would love to have it. Leaving it in the safety deposit box might ruin it.... and there might not be anything left of it when it comes time to give it to your nephew.

If you change your mind, let me know

...what would you do with this thing? honest answers only please.

I would donate it, and take the tax write-off. Word.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i have not heard from him since i got that email. i had no idea that this thing was being talked about all over the internet. they do not want a cast. they want it to x-ray and get the information that they do not have and i guess they do not study it unless they have the actual thing and they can't publish thier findings unless they can touch it. i do understand that. i though i posted this before but my question to all of you out there is.... you are collectors of this stuff and you like to find and possess them. what would you do with this thing? honest answers only please.

Me I would keep it and enjoy it for awhile then have a cast made sell the original to the high's bidder and move on. I donated several thousand dollars of Indian artifacts to a museum some years ago and am still waiting for the papers I need for tax's and a Thank You. So I don't have a lot of use for museums, know I will get flak for that statement but that's the way I feel.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Honest answer, I would keep it but then I love fossils. So that may not be the answer for you.

Welcome to the forum!

If you are wanting to sell it, just let me know. I know there are a few of use that would love to have it. Leaving it in the safety deposit box might ruin it.... and there might not be anything left of it when it comes time to give it to your nephew.

If you change your mind, let me know

i am not sure how this thing works.

i am not sure how this thing works.

If you mean to PM him, just click on the envelope by his name.

Welcome to the forum!

Honest answer...I'd donate it and take the tax write-off. I have done that and feel good about it. A good university-based museum will give you the letter you want right away. It was an easy process. I have done this a couple of times with different museums.

http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Niobrarasaurus/NewDino2/vp-17229.jpg

I know this fossil is real.I know the finder and all.He thought it was a spare tire when he found it.....

Well, whatever happens to the Ptychodus plate I hope Stuart sticks around the forum and occasionally shows off other fossil goodies he has collected. There's also a few arrowhead lovers here I'm sure. I just wonder how many mammoth teeth he's kicked aside to get to an arrowhead or spear point. tongue.gif

Edited by LanceHall

I just wonder how many mammoth teeth he's kicked aside to get to an arrowhead

That's not funny Lance

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

i will trade fossils for arrowheads as that is not what i am looking for. i have some things but i am not sure what they are. i do appreciate all the feedback i have got from this thing. i am just too busy to post things. thank you guys for all of your interest. i am reconsidering the offers as i think i want to get rid of this thing and let someone that collects this stuff enjoy it. in turn they can worry about how important it is to study. take care.

i have a friend that has something similiar to this but it is smaller. i guess it is broken. when i first found this fossil he tried to beat me out of it and then he told me it was something special. he has a partial one of these, he is a very private collector like myself. he keeps what he finds. i talked to him tonite and he said that my fossil is museum quality and he has never seen a better one. i trust him on his advice as he has taught me most everything i know about arrowheads but he is a fossil person as well. i hope this thing gets in to the right hands one day and people will be able to enjoy it instead of sitting in a dark box at a bank or the bottom of some museum.

i have a friend that has something similiar to this but it is smaller. i guess it is broken. when i first found this fossil he tried to beat me out of it and then he told me it was something special. he has a partial one of these, he is a very private collector like myself. he keeps what he finds. i talked to him tonite and he said that my fossil is museum quality and he has never seen a better one. i trust him on his advice as he has taught me most everything i know about arrowheads but he is a fossil person as well. i hope this thing gets in to the right hands one day and people will be able to enjoy it instead of sitting in a dark box at a bank or the bottom of some museum.

You really have something great there. Hopefully it gets into the right hands. But who knows whose those are. You found it, you can do whatever you want with it, but makes sure if you do sell/donate it to someone else that you keep the info on where you collected it with it. you never know where your fossil will end up. It may be in a basement for 40 years and then someone may find it and not know what it is.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Indeed an awesome find. I agree the wrong place for it is in a bank box somewhere. Keep record of where you found it.

Also not sure exactly where you live, but if you ever need anyone to hunt with, there are several of us in this area. I am thinking of venturing south to a creek I have heard good rumors about.

Edited by jax

i document everything i find so when i die tragically or otherwise people will know where i found my stuff. my finds are much more important than my life in the science perspective. it is a matter of who gets to my stuff first after i am gone as there are vultures just waiting for me to pass on. sad but true.

Indeed an awesome find. I agree the wrong place for it is in a bank box somewhere. Keep record of where you found it.

Also not sure exactly where you live, but if you ever need anyone to hunt with, there are several of us in this area. I am thinking of venturing south to a creek I have heard good rumors about.

i document everything i find so when i die tragically or otherwise people will know where i found my stuff. my finds are much more important than my life in the science perspective. it is a matter of who gets to my stuff first after i am gone as there are vultures just waiting for me to pass on. sad but true.

Well hopefully you don't go for a long time. Probably good to leave a will if you're worried about who gets what ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.