Not sure how to identify if a fossil is fake or not with something like this, but I bought this spinosaurus tooth from Kem Kem some time ago and I do not know if it is real. It almost seems a bit too pretty and the price was really cheap, I don't remember exactly but it was around 10 dollars.7.2 cm in length. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_20181123_230539.jpg

IMG_20181123_230534.jpg

IMG_20181123_230519.jpg

IMG_20181123_230623.jpg

IMG_20181123_230508.jpg

I would pass on any tooth with sandy mix on it.  It is a method Moroccans use to cover faults.  There are lots of clean Spino teeth for sale and would suggest looking at one of those. 

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, the lumpy sand and glue stuff is often added to hide damage or missing sections. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Anything up to the root is real, now where the sand and glue is a guess best way to find out drop it in acetone and say good bye to any glue cover up. honestly I would say 5cm spinosauridae tooth for 10usd is rather good just remove the 2.2cm of junk.

• I found this Informative 3

The crown portion doesn't look bad at all. I see no breaks in it. You may find repairs under the matrix junk, but big deal!  The tooth wasn't that expensive and for what you got I would say it was a deal.

I've seen hundreds of those teeth that looked far worse in ragged shape, missing tips, with sand and glue added all the way up for more than you paid.

I think you should be happy with this one.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

You may find repairs under the matrix junk,

9 hours ago, Haravex said:

Anything up to the root is real

10 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, the lumpy sand and glue stuff is often added to hide damage or missing sections. 

15 hours ago, Pemphix said:

but what is under the sand - who knows...

I removed some of the glue stuff, apparently it was holding the tooth and root together as when I removed it, it crumbled and split into two pieces.

IMG_20181124_202123.jpg

IMG_20181124_202136.jpg

7 hours ago, Misha said:

In some places it fits together while in others there are gaps.

can you put the two pieces together and take a picture of both sides? Just so we can see and compare if it is from the same tooth or a different tooth.

5 hours ago, Haravex said:

can you put the two pieces together and take a picture of both sides? Just so we can see and compare if it is from the same tooth or a different tooth.

They are definitely from the same tooth, I am just waiting right now for the rest of the sand glue to dissolve.

5 hours ago, SULLY said:

Even if the root was phony, the rest of the tooth is good looking and you got a great deal 

Exact...