Herbivore reptile fossil from New Mexico

Kasia

Thanks for sharing :) New Mexico keeps givin' up amazing discoveries, doesn't it? ;)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

The fossil itself is really incredibly well preserved and perfectly articulated:

Image result for gordodon

One thing I might mention, I have seen a number of articles claiming that the etymology of the name "Gordodon" is from the Spanish for fat and Latin for tooth.  While I am not saying that this is inaccurate, I would bet a large some of money this name comes in part from it being found near 'gordo.

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 months later...

A few photos of Gordodon. Very bad lighting for photography. Spotlights from two directions casting bad shadows. Unable to extract good details.

image.thumb.png.edaee6ed507c7b02fc79f7aff46b3489.png

The 'sail'

image.thumb.png.0d8bdf8386e85804933e59d2e91b86d5.png

I wish the lighting had been better. At least one is able to make out the incisors in the front of the upper jaw.

image.thumb.png.ec171219d9e218be191479e41a0458c8.png

On 11/24/2018 at 10:11 PM, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

The fossil itself is really incredibly well preserved and perfectly articulated:

One thing I might mention, I have seen a number of articles claiming that the etymology of the name "Gordodon" is from the Spanish for fat and Latin for tooth.  While I am not saying that this is inaccurate, I would bet a large some of money this name comes in part from it being found near 'gordo.

The story that was recounted indicated the original thought was to name it Alamogordodon. They decided it was too long and shortened it.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:11 PM, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

The nearby town, Alamogordo translates as fat cottonwood. Gordodon translates as fat tooth even though the fossil does not have very fat teeth. It makes sense that the fossil was named for the nearby town and not its fat teeth. I probably would have named it Alamodon. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

49 minutes ago, Kato said:

The story that was recounted indicated the original thought was to name it Alamogordodon. They decided it was too long and shortened it.

Very nice. 

Thanks for sharing these photos. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png