Picturing the Cambrian

Scylla

The setting, nature of the expedition, and fossils, are really impressive and awe-inspiring. Thanks for sharing this :) 

Guess I'll try to hitch a ride next time there's a helicopter bound for the Canadian Rockies ;)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

My clues that the photographer was not really a fossil guy: 1) the term 'Cambrian era', and 2) Caron's face is in focus but the 'mothership' is not!   &^%$#

2 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

My clues that the photographer was not really a fossil guy: 1) the term 'Cambrian era', and 2) Caron's face is in focus but the 'mothership' is not!   &^%$#

I know. And stop calling it "spaceship" and give the real name of the fossil! Right?

59 minutes ago, Scylla said:

I know. And stop calling it "spaceship" and give the real name of the fossil! Right?

I'd like to know what that thing is too - some kind of arthropod carapace I gather? But the use of 'spaceship' I think comes from the fact that it's not yet described (named) and no one knows what else to call it. Reminds me of when they discovered Eris, and the discoverers nicknamed it 'Xena', and the media grabbed onto that, and as a result, everyone kept calling it Xena and didn't want to stop when it was finally named officially 'Eris'.

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I'd like to know what that thing is too - some kind of arthropod carapace I gather?

Don't worry - Caron informed me that there's a paper on that fossil soon coming out :D 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks for the link, Gus! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

15 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Don't worry - Caron informed me that there's a paper on that fossil soon coming out :D 

-Christian

Oh, you've been in touch with him? I would expect that one to be written up tout d'suite!

Will we be able to see the paper without having to pay for it?

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Oh, you've been in touch with him? I would expect that one to be written up tout d'suite!

Will we be able to see the paper without having to pay for it?

I've been in touch with him for a few months - he didn't say whether we'd be able to see it without having to pay for it, just that it'll be out "very soon" :) 

-Christian

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Archived