Show us your Hash Plates

Bobby Rico

This is from an old Victorian collection a polished Crinoidea plate but sadly  the location is lost. Still very interesting piece.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

This is from an old Victorian collection a polished Crinoidea plate but sadly  the location is lost. Still very interesting piece.

image.jpeg

I believe that the Hash Plate is from the Carboniferous of the UK( Clifton Black Rock.)

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I will show something a bit different and unique from the Cretaceous, Ozan Formation of the North Sulfur River in Texas. It is Thalassinoid burrows with a baculite and an Inoceramus clam. I got bored with prepping in so it isn’t real pretty, but you get the idea.

This is the bottom of the plate with the clam on it. The whole plate is a mud cast of everything.

IMG_5911.thumb.jpg.999545ffc703d60891686512103b2f67.jpg

This is the top of the plate. The baculite is in the middle running vertical. I think there are at least 2 types of burrows. 

There are burrows running vertically through the matrix. See bottom left corner and top right. You can see the cylinders sticking up.

the second type of burrows run horizontally through the matrix. One runs across the baculite and others loop around here and there.

IMG_5909.thumb.jpg.7441991021a0b038aeb2c55f8e0742ec.jpg

A view view from the opposite edge.IMG_5908.thumb.jpg.d6a322f986588fa078691bd04c41cdfa.jpg

A view looking top down.IMG_5907.thumb.jpg.0829f542b30b7da2eb2d0df58d362124.jpg

It could use more prep work, but I got bored with it and stopped. It’s a cool little piece though.

• I found this Informative 6

@ynot thank you very much a very interesting piece and beautiful colour to it. I have a couple of small trilobites from Wheeler Shale  Utah is that the same place? Thanks for sharing 

@KimTexan thanks Kim beautiful piece indeed. This thread stated out as something to do on a cold Saturday afternoon and now it is becoming very interesting. Thanks everyone.

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hungry Hollow

Alright my friend I am interested in this as my own hash plate from there is fantastic to photograph. Thanks @Monica .

This is a simple little one of crushes shell material. It was found in the Cretaceous Paw Paw formation in Roanoke, Texas. I like the contrast in colors. The zigged shape is what we call a denture clam. It kind of looks like a mouth with a tongue sticking out to me.E7CBC1BA-7840-4698-A70D-134A6463336C.thumb.jpeg.fe225196cff065c51f355224c5b83e3e.jpeg

The other side.

C71DFDA1-0EF0-4FE0-B7EA-30C45527CF86.thumb.jpeg.7e3cc4adbebfc45eecea7125dbbd2704.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

15 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I haven't seen many fossils in coal. That's cool

@UtahFossilHunter, yes, they are relatively rare and really cool. Conditions for preservation of organic matter and shells do not overlap very much.

Here is an example from Austria, from the former Fohnsdorf coal mine in Styria.

https://www.mindat.org/photo-768671.html

The coal seam is capped by a lumachelle composed of Congeria clams. In the transition zone, you can find specimens like below:

First pic: Coal with some shells, wide of specimen 7 cm.

Second pic: Shells with some coal layers, wide of specimen 7 cm.

Both specimens are polished slabs, collected from the dump in 2013. The coal is of subbituminous rank and about 17 Ma old.

Franz Bernhard

MuschelninKohle.jpg

FohnsdorfMuschelkalkundKohle.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

16 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I haven't seen many fossils in coal. That's cool:dinothumb:

I have not seen Marine fossil in coal before. In the UK when the coal mines where operational plant material was often found. I have a few from these lost locations. Thank you @FranzBernhard very interesting piece 

E0038F91-4550-46A5-89D8-264029DE08C9.jpeg

3E0EE3CC-A360-4039-8AED-CE69D19F481C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

@Bobby Rico, thanks for your appreciation!

This layer with Congeria above the Fohnsdorf coal seam is not considered to be fully marine. Its said in the literature, that this layer has formed in a brackisch lake. But at least, there was some input of sea water. The coal is also very sulfur-rich.

The genus Melanopsis (the lignite specimen with the abundant snails) is considerd to be a freshwater genus.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

@Bobby Rico, thanks for your appreciation!

This layer with Congeria above the Fohnsdorf coal seam is not considered to be fully marine. Its said in the literature, that this layer has formed in a brackisch lake. But at least, there was some input of sea water. The coal is also very sulfur-rich.

The genus Melanopsis (the lignite specimen with the abundant snails) is considerd to be a freshwater genus.

Franz Bernhard

It is very interesting thank you.

12 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Ptychagnostus molts from Norway.

Ptychagnostus.thumb.jpg.b2ffd91ffa37021b3e57a321ae00ff50.jpg

Nice Adam you don’t see many fossils from Norway here.

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

from Wheeler Shale  Utah is that the same place?

No, these plates came from further south of that site. Same mountain range though.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hash or lumachelle? There is not always that much difference:

Here are some accumulations of monotid bivalves from the upper Triassic Hallstatt limestone of the Northern Calcareous alps in Styria, Austria.

First specimen is from Frein, Mürztal. Collected 2015, field of view is 12 cm.

Second specimen is from Eisernes Törl, Schneealpe, Mürztal. Collected 2015, wide of specimen is 13 cm.

Third specimen: That´s a polished cross section through such a specimen from Eisernes Törl, Schneealpe, shell above shell.... Collected 2015, wide of specimen is 11 cm.

Only few people collect such stuff, the famous ammos from this formation are more popular, but they are not so easy to find...

Franz Bernhard

Schill_2300_Bb12cm_kompr.jpg

Schill_2420a_Breite13cm_kompr.jpg

AN3480_Breite11cm_kompr.jpg

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

First specimen

All lovely specimens but the first is really beautiful. I have something similar looking I will dig it out later. Thanks for sharing much appreciated 

5 hours ago, KimTexan said:

This is a simple little one of crushes shell material. It was found in the Cretaceous Paw Paw formation in Roanoke, Texas. I like the contrast in colors. The zigged shape is what we call a denture clam. It kind of looks like a mouth with a tongue sticking out to me.E7CBC1BA-7840-4698-A70D-134A6463336C.thumb.jpeg.fe225196cff065c51f355224c5b83e3e.jpeg

The other side.

C71DFDA1-0EF0-4FE0-B7EA-30C45527CF86.thumb.jpeg.7e3cc4adbebfc45eecea7125dbbd2704.jpeg

Hey Kim now that is a hash plate indeed . Is it polished, beautiful colour hues. Cheers Bobby 

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Hash or lumachelle? There is not always that much difference:

Here are some accumulations of monotid bivalves from the upper Triassic Hallstatt limestone of the Northern Calcareous alps in Styria, Austria.

First specimen is from Frein, Mürztal. Collected 2015, field of view is 12 cm.

Second specimen is from Eisernes Törl, Schneealpe, Mürztal. Collected 2015, wide of specimen is 13 cm.

Third specimen: That´s a polished cross section through such a specimen from Eisernes Törl, Schneealpe, shell above shell.... Collected 2015, wide of specimen is 11 cm.

Only few people collect such stuff, the famous ammos from this formation are more popular, but they are not so easy to find...

Franz Bernhard

Schill_2300_Bb12cm_kompr.jpg

Schill_2420a_Breite13cm_kompr.jpg

AN3480_Breite11cm_kompr.jpg

There's just layers and layers of them. 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

16 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I believe that the Hash Plate is from the Carboniferous of the UK( Clifton Black Rock.)

Or the quarries near Casteton. I’ve examples from there. Could be a number of places in the U.K. really. 

A few from the Barton Formation UK 38.0-41.3(Ma) Scaliola sp.,  Dentalium bartonense, Rimella rimosa, Venericardia sp. Coral Turbinolia sp. Sharks teeth Striatolamina macrota (Agassiz 1843) to name a few.

block.JPG.5488e6065126cdad2b41339c3c9bcfd6.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG.923b8487837ca87b11f22bd5a2ab9c2b.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

15 hours ago, wessex_man said:

block.JPG.5488e6065126cdad2b41339c3c9bcfd6.JPG

That´s an impressive accumulation of Dentalium, thanks for sharing! Are such accumulations rare there?

I think this one could be not #y enough, put I post it anyways ;):

Plate with, from left to right: Turritella partschi; Linga columbella; Pecten styriacus; Divaricella ornata.

Subtidal fauna from Oisnitz, St. Josef, Styria, Austria ("Florianer Schichten", Langhian, ca. 15 Ma).

Wide of specimen 9 cm, collected 2015.

Franz Bernhard

Mischung_OisnitzSW1_2634_Breite9cm_kompr.jpg