Show us your Hash Plates

Bobby Rico

Ordovician (Red River Fm, Selkirk Mbr). Not in my collection, but where I work. :P The mottling is Thalassinoides. 

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Cretaceous (forgot the formation name :P )  - Oyster and high-spired gastropod hashes from Magoito Beach, Portugal.

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

16 minutes ago, Kane said:

IMG_E4184.JPG

Wow! Thats the ultimate hash plate! Such a wonderfull specimen! Congrats! Did you count how many different fossils (genera etc.) are on this plate?

I have another one, not as hashy as the above one, but it has something special to me, because it contains the four most abundant intertidal gastro species of the "Florianer Schichten" (Langhian, 15 Ma) within an area of 3x1.5 cm. From left to right:

Terebralia lignitarum; Granulolabium bicinctum; Vitta picta; Granulolabium plicatum; to the right is a G. bicinctum of normal size.

Oisnitz, St. Josef, Styria, Austria, wide of specimen is 7 cm, collected 2017.

Franz Bernhard

Mischung_OisnitzSW1_3182_Breite7cm_kompr.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Wow! Thats the ultimate hash plate! Such a wonderfull specimen! Congrats! Did you count how many different fossils (genera etc.) are on this plate?

I have another one, not as hashy as the above one, but it has something special to me, because it contains the four most abundant intertidal gastro species of the "Florianer Schichten" (Langhian, 15 Ma) within an area of 3x1.5 cm. From left to right:

Terebralia lignitarum; Granulolabium bicinctum; Vitta picta; Granulolabium plicatum; to the right is a G. bicinctum of normal size.

Franz Bernhard

Very nice! The younger gastropods certainly retain their features very well, which is something not so common in Paleozoic deposits from where I collect. 

Haven't counted up the fossils in the hash plate. I should say that this was found in the upper Verulam where it was a much stormier, high energy environment. The lower and mid Verulam sections are a bit calmer in areas, with alternating sections of crinoidal limestone and muddy shale intervals. 

• I found this Informative 2

Polished archaeocyathid hash, Ethmocyathus lineata. 

Lower Cambrian, Ajax Mine, Beltane, South Australia.

Ethmocyathus.thumb.jpg.c13c259720a741111f2f2e88226e7ff9.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Kane you have some stunning hash plates wow. Thanks for adding them this thread. 

@Tidgy's Dad Adam you’re the international man of hash plates . Norway and Australia. I really like the Australia plate. Cheers Bobby 

and thanks everyone for adding to this thread much appreciated. 

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

Wow another beautiful plate my offering are looking a little shabby now but I just got a beautiful one from @JohnBrewer I will be adding it in the next day or two just need to photograph it. .

On 11/25/2018 at 6:56 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Hash or lumachelle? There is not always that much difference:

Here are some accumulations of monotid bivalves from the upper Triassic Hallstatt limestone of the Northern Calcareous alps in Styria, Austria.

First specimen is from Frein, Mürztal. Collected 2015, field of view is 12 cm.

Second specimen is from Eisernes Törl, Schneealpe, Mürztal. Collected 2015, wide of specimen is 13 cm.

Third specimen: That´s a polished cross section through such a specimen from Eisernes Törl, Schneealpe, shell above shell.... Collected 2015, wide of specimen is 11 cm.

Only few people collect such stuff, the famous ammos from this formation are more popular, but they are not so easy to find...

Franz Bernhard

Schill_2300_Bb12cm_kompr.jpg

Nice example of a worldwide index fossil. My best comes from Pine Pass in Northeastern B.C.  I don't know if this would qualify as a hash plate but it could be a # (number) plate as there are a number of them on it! (Accumulation plate I guess) We have them here on Vancouver Island too, and the ones I have would qualify more as hash plates and therefore not as showy.

I'm enjoying all this variety in hash/assemblage plates. In a way they are more interesting than isolated fossils - they are great as little snapshots of the seafloor (or swamp floor?) at some point in the distant past.

Monotis-wllppr.jpg.427555f2bed0b5d33bf6ff6bc171927f.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

One of my favorite hash plates complete with Archimedes screws, a trilobite pygidium, and horn coral.

This is Permian age BTW. The trilobite belongs to one of the last orders of trilobites on Earth.

image.jpg

Edited by UtahFossilHunter

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

close ups

IMG_5247.JPG

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

Cross section through a bivalve

IMG_5251.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Monotis-wllppr.jpg.427555f2bed0b5d33bf6ff6bc171927f.jpg

Now that is a really great monotid plate! I have yet to find such a large piece with such complete shells. A stunning specimen you are having here, thanks for sharing!

One of the funny things about this plates is, that they come in various colors. Black-grey-white and in various shades of pinkt to red. Sometimes they are multicolered (my second specimen).

Franz Bernhard

Just saw your post today. Good timing. I just split this open last night to reveal the rock's innards. I need to pick away and expose things better. But the fresh split still is nice as is. Typical Galena, Ordovician fossils from Fillmore County, Minnesota

DSC_0244.thumb.JPG.66a1bcdc6377de8e70c9d10f069de42a.JPG 

DSC_0245.thumb.JPG.300f8785cd715f8fd27cde9bc3ac0bee.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

7 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Now that is a really great monotid plate! I have yet to find such a large piece with such complete shells. A stunning specimen you are having here, thanks for sharing!

One of the funny things about this plates is, that they come in various colors. Black-grey-white and in various shades of pinkt to red. Sometimes they are multicolered (my second specimen).

Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz. Yes, they aren't always the same color. The one I show is plain grey, but the lighting can fool you... (I need either a lightbulb that will give pure white light or a camera that won't exaggerate a light's tint!)

Hi FranzBernhard re my plates as Barton is comprised mainly of clay and sands these plates are uncommon and probably derived from shelly lenses found in A beds, especialy as they hold teeth.

• I found this Informative 1

14 minutes ago, ynot said:

Just curious if anyone can tell Me the difference between a "hash plate" and a "mortality plate"?

I thought Hash ( meaning mixed up) plates more just bits and pieces of creatures  that have fallen to the sea floor quite randomly  and a mortality plate was when the creatures have died at the same time and became fossilised. But I don’t the official definition.

• I found this Informative 3

20 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I thought Hash ( meaning mixed up) plates more just bits and pieces of creatures  that have fallen to the sea floor quite randomly  and a mortality plate was when the creatures have died at the same time and became fossilised. But I don’t the official definition.

I’ve always though hash was American and mortality UK/European!

7 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

I’ve always though hash was American and mortality UK/European!

Could be that makes sense.

I can't believe I almost missed this post. What I'm seeing is so fantastic. 

@Bobby Rico. You make the greatest posts!

For now I will contribute this array of sheet bryozoans.

011.thumb.JPG.f50b40f1e6b63e0d319a156329229f4c.JPG

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs