Possible Pleistocene bone + more Monmouth NJ

frankh8147

Hello!

I went to Monmouth County New Jersey (Big Brook area) today and found three things I need some help on.

The first one is the object I believe has a chance to be Pleistocene. It measures a little over 6 inches long.

In the second group of pictures, I think that bone is Cretaceous, any ideas on what it is? Per the fish jaw; all of the jaws I have found in the past were identified as Enchodus but I have heard about a different type of fish here (needle fish?) and was wondering if it could be that.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated!

-Frank

@Carl @non-remanié

1124best.jpg

1124d.jpg

11245.jpg

11249.jpg

1124last.jpg

Nice jaw, I still think it is enchodus though. The bone is cool and I think it is turtle. I don't know for the possible Pleistocene bone. Good to see you got out Frank.

: )

25 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Nice jaw, I still think it is enchodus though. The bone is cool and I think it is turtle. I don't know for the possible Pleistocene bone. Good to see you got out Frank.

Thanks! On the jaw, that's my thought as well. I have a few that look pretty similar.

Here are a few more pictures of the bigger thing.

new1124.jpg

new11242.jpg

25 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Thanks! On the jaw, that's my thought as well. I have a few that look pretty similar.

Here are a few more pictures of the bigger thing.

new1124.jpg

new11242.jpg

It almost looks like someone cut a section from a seriously clogged pipe.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

25 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like an iron concretion to Me.

Here's one more - we have a lot of iron here but it's pretty light-weight. I was actually worried about it being modern 

1124last.jpg

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Here's one more - we have a lot of iron here but it's pretty light-weight. I was actually worried about it being modern 

1124last.jpg

Wanna see if a magnet will stick? Just in case. 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Maybe aluminum slag? These edges are interesting to me. Like the bottom of a bucket.

1543110725817.jpeg

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

That first item is either slag of some sort or an iron concretion.

The jaw is a nice Enchodus lateral jaw section. The bone is reptilian, possibly turtle.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

46 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Maybe aluminum slag? These edges are interesting to me. Like the bottom of a bucket.

1543110725817.jpeg

Yes I agree it does look man made with what appears to be seams and rusted metal. I don't see bone at all.

12 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Yes I agree it does look man made with what appears to be seams and rusted metal. I don't see bone at all.

I was going off the look alone but a lot of man-made material does end up in the stream. It's not metallic but does have a strange sort of 'wax' feel to it.

12 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

That first item is either slag of some sort or an iron concretion.

The jaw is a nice Enchodus lateral jaw section. The bone is reptilian, possibly turtle.

Thanks! For the bone, I was thinking possible turtle too. Besides the shell, I really don't find too much articulated turtle bone so I'm lacking good comparison pieces but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Archived