Is this a complete theropod tooth or just the tip?

gturner333

I found this theropod tooth in some Lance Formation material. I believe it is a dromaeosaur tooth, but was wondering if it is fairly complete or just the tip. The serrations get smaller toward the base and the curvature of the tooth seems to be curving back toward the base. What do  you think? Hash marks are 1mm. Thanks.

therapod tooth 4.jpg

therapod tooth 4  base.jpg

therapod tooth 4  edge.jpg

That’s even better. I didn’t have any Troodon teeth. The Pectinodon bakkeri looks like a good match, too. Any seconds to that motion?

Pectinodon bakkeri not a Troodon tooth however a fantastic tooth even with that small bit of tip missing!

This post is helpful in identifying teeth like this: 

• I found this Informative 2

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

1 hour ago, JoeS said:

judging from the shape of the denticles Pectinodon bakkeri - anyone?

I agree. One of the characteristics of Pectinodon teeth is the appearance of only a single row of denticles. Beautiful tooth!

• I found this Informative 1

Ok, this may be the cause of my confusion. Correct me if i’m wrong. Troodon and Pectinodon are different genus but from the same Troodontidae family.

Just now, gturner333 said:

Ok, this may be the cause of my confusion. Correct me if i’m wrong. Troodon and Pectinodon are different genus but from the same Troodontidae family.

that's right, thanks for the correction @Jaimin013

7 minutes ago, gturner333 said:

Based on the literature extant, I think you are correct. I am not aware of any recent revision in classification as pertains to the Troodontidae. However I am not nearly as familiar with possible recent reinterpretations regarding  Pectinodon, as some members of the forum certainly will be. 

Troodon’s dissertation on the topic linked via Jaimin013 is very informative. 

These things were originally called Troodon by Estes, but are now known as Pectinodon.  Hence the confusion.  

Beautiful tooth.  Also not common.  I have only found a few in my decades of Lance Fm collecting, including screenwashing for  micros.  Great find.  

• I found this Informative 1