Dolomite micron size

Haravex

I was just wondering if anyone knows the partical size for dolomite as need to order a new tank for the sandstorm abrasion unit.

Thanks Matt

Actually I wonder now which tank would you use then? these are the options available as it is not 25 microns but not 50 either?

Replacement Tank, 25 micronVAN288  

Replacement Tank, 50-100 micronVAN289  

That, I don't know as I don't use that unit. I use a Paasche AECR. If I had to choose, the smaller the micron size, the more precision you may get in preparation. What you sacrifice in cutting speed you make up for with that precision -- and it depends what you're preparing, type of matrix, etc. At 50-100 microns, you might be able to pull it off, but that is getting a bit large and becoming silt-sized. The bigger the grain, the higher the probability of clogging the air eraser (if the nozzle is small), and the less detail you may get. It may also risk over-blasting. 

I'd say go with the 25 if these are the only choices. Again, not a unit I'm familiar with!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just out of curiousity, are you not able to fill an existing tank with fresh dolomite without purchasing a whole new tank?

Nope I bought the unit second hand and the tank is well....done its completely clogged its fixed too nothing I have tried is unblocking it sadly.

Yikes. Is it the one with the blast chamber? Seems a bit small for doing work. If it doesn't allow refilling of the tanks, that is unfortunate as sometimes you might want to change the blast medium to a different type (iron oxide, baking soda, etc.). 

Image result for vaniman tank

This is the part in question where you can see the blue that is where the air goes in but there is a mesh that is totally clogged i'm guessing it has been used heavily before i purchased it.

I see the issue here. Not exactly amenable to being taken apart! I'm guessing you've tried to blast air through it by now to try and dislodge the clog. On the plus side, it does look like the tanks can be refilled (the top part unscrews?). 

Depending on how much the tank is to replace, I wonder if it might be better to get a relatively inexpensive Paasche. If you had very deep pockets, a COMCO would be great, but a Paasche might do the trick? 

I've bought the whole unit so buying a paasche doesn't seem like a smart move as the tank is going to cost less than and new cheap paasche and yeah the tanks can be refilled of course, it would be a very bad design if they couldn't

If that's the case, I would go with the 50 micron tank and fill it with 40 micron dolomite. Getting the smaller grain size tank will just lead to clogging. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, smt126 said:

Also have you tried cleaning the mesh with any acids to see if that cleans it up?

Risky if the mesh is a metal, could end up with a salt if the wrong acid is used!

3 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Risky if the mesh is a metal, could end up with a salt if the wrong acid is used!

Yea but if it's garbage anyways might as well give it a try? Plus I like little experiments like that lol

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try blowing the mesh at high PSI, I would scratch it up with a fine needle and air blow it before trying anything else. Following that I would try vinegar because if it is dolomite or baking soda that should remove it with doing much to the mesh. I suspect if they have mesh in there it is not just to stop large particles but to also reduce the amount of powder that comes out. Remember you always want to use the least amount of powder that you can get away with when prepping something. I fantasize that a perfect prep would be a powder stream that comes out a single grain at a time. But then it would probably take forever to prep anything.

Typically the orifice or hole that allows powder to pass from the tank to the nozzle should be  at least 10 times the size of the powder medium . If it is not it will clog at the orifice especially if the media has any humidity. Remember 40 micron is actually quite small

I use a Comco unit and I have a number of different orifice sizes (.018, .025,. 03 and . 04) which then regulates the amount of media that gets into the airstream . If I recall they were about $25 US each and I have never had one wear out. For example I am currently using a .025 inch orifice with sub 40 micron dolomite (.0016 inches). The orifice is approximately 15 times wider than the particles. Right now I am using .010, .015, .018 an .015 nozzles with this orifice set up and I have my powder flow set to as low as it will go. Other than the .010 nozzle i rarely get any clogging at the nozzle end with this set up and that I can resolve by dialing down the PSI. My unit will operate down to about 3 PSI before the powder flow becomes non existent.

• I found this Informative 1