Nebfossil

Possible kinzer formation near Oregon dairy

Nebfossil

Possible kinzer formation by Oregon dairy Lancaster pa. Can someone take a look at this and see what it might be?

05B5B448-ED24-4247-BC58-5A744622BA45.jpeg

Fossildude19

Looks like a trace fossil, to me. 

ynot
16 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like a trace fossil, to me. 

Looks a lot like a finger to Me.:doh!::hearty-laugh:

I agree with a trace fossil.

Nebfossil

haha

sTamprockcoin

Trace fossil possibly a feeding trace or burrow trace. There's a cut near me (in PA)  where there are huge slabs covered with these and interestingly they all seem to have a silvery hematite/pryite coating on them. They can be interesting to look at but after a few years of exposure they will weather away. 

Nebfossil

Thank for actual info that’s helpful, guess these other guys have no clue and just want to seem clever, trying really hard too

Fossildude19
1 hour ago, Nebfossil said:

Thank for actual info that’s helpful, guess these other guys have no clue and just want to seem clever, trying really hard too

:headscratch:

Auspex
1 hour ago, Nebfossil said:

FYI, a "trace fossil" is a track, burrow, or other sign of ancient biological activity.
It is being suggested that your specimen is an in-filled invertebrate burrow.

Nebfossil
1 minute ago, Auspex said:

FYI, a "trace fossil" is a track, burrow, or other sign of ancient biological activity.
It is being suggested that your specimen is an in-filled invertebrate burrow.

Yes I understand that I was responding smartly to the guy who said it looked like a finger. I am new to fossil hunting in the Lancaster area and just was curious on some serious info that’s all 

Fossildude19
5 minutes ago, Nebfossil said:

Yes I understand that I was responding smartly to the guy who said it looked like a finger. I am new to fossil hunting in the Lancaster area and just was curious on some serious info that’s all 

Hmm. A harmless joke requires a "smart response? "  :unsure: 

Maybe your "haha "response should have been phrased as "Looking for serious info, please." :( 

Auspex

ynot is our resident 'smart-arse'; he can take some getting used to.

It is never meant in a demeaning way, and is usually taken with a chuckle.

Back to business; The Kinzers is Cambrian, and the lower two of three sub units can yield wonderfully preserved fossils. Your specimen is consistent with the top section, which is described as "Sandy limestone which weathers to a fine-grained, friable, porous, sandy mass". Not to say that the evidence necessarily supports it as being Kinzers.

Nebfossil

Maybe. I just thought it was implied 

Nebfossil
Just now, Auspex said:

ynot is our resident 'smart-'; he can take some getting used to.

It is never meant in a demeaning way, and is usually taken with a chuckle.

Back to business; The Kinzers is Cambrian, and the lower two of three sub units can yield wonderfully preserved fossils. Your specimen is consistent with the top section, which is described as "Sandy limestone which weathers to a fine-grained, friable, porous, sandy mass". Not to say that the evidence necessarily supports it as being Kinzers.

That makes sense been having a tough time finding a true good place around here. Getz is non exists at, Fruitville quarry is owned by f am m. Even the place on Harrisburg poke has been filled in as a quarry in the 80’s. All good aus just caught me at the wrong time haha

sTamprockcoin

NEBFOSSIL - If you google PaGEODE the pa geological survey has an interactive online geology map that might help you id the formation in that specific spot. It can also act as a "pointer" to survey reports and maps. 

Do you have a copy of the survey report that lists localities? If not pm me. I have found roadside collecting to be a great way to collect in PA. Just remember stay off the intetstate (unless you can pull completely off the road & shoulder) and get permission if you leave the public right-of-way. Try to hook up with  the local rock&mineral club (can't remember their name but I know there's one).  If you want more info pm me.

• Everyone else can we cut the newbie a break I think  he has been castigated enough -IMHO:oyh:

Nebfossil

Thank you my dude

Fossildude19
On 12/8/2018 at 10:20 AM, sTamprockcoin said:
  • Everyone else can we cut the newbie a break I think  he has been castigated enough -IMHO:oyh:

Tim,

I think "castigated" is a bit strong.  :headscratch:

We try to keep it light here, and people need to be able to see that.  :( 

Flippant, hurtful remarks are unnecessary.

Let's just keep it friendly all around, shall we? 

sTamprockcoin

Agreed lets move on!

Plax

I've seen that flaggy limestone along the highway between Ephata and Lancaster. Needs to be a bit more shaley (more clay less caco3) to have the trilobites but I'd look anyway. The way I remember the exposures they were also around roads passing under the highway making it less dangerous to collect. It's been since the 80s so take this with a grain of salt as far as location.

Plax

also keep in mind in that part of the state that limestone makes valleys and shale and sandstone make the ridges.

Nebfossil

Good feedback I appreciate that!