Hello! What is it?

Badia

Hi, 

I would like to ask you if you happen to know what these fossils are. They were found in central Spain, on a farm field that I have learned to be a not well-known Miocen limestone lacustrine site. It remineded me of petrified wood when I first saw it and then I thought it could be coral. However, if you look carefully you can see that it was possibly part of a rould-like creature as I could find several pieces that actually fit. As you can see, the creature was not all the same as part of the surface where the pieces seem to assemble look totally different. The surface is not perfectly round. Please let me know if you happen to know what it is. Thank you!  

fosil coral 1.jpg

fosil coral 2.jpg

fosil coral 3.jpg

fosil coral 4.jpg

2 hours ago, ynot said:

It looks mineral like to Me , not seeing a fossil.

Does it  "fizz" when vinegar is dripped on it?

I agree;

...and if it doesn’t react with vinegar, than I would consider the hypothesys of a fibrous/radiating baryte nodule

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Baritina-formazione-raggiata-mm-80x70_fig4_272151800

http://www.mineralimodenesi.it/Schede foto/Valle Urbana/Barite/0088A Baritina.htm

ciao

Supertramp, you may be right, looks very much like a baryta radiating nodule, thank you! It does pfzz a bit, not very much. But if you look at the 3rd picture, don't you see a strange-looking organic soft texture? 

4 hours ago, Badia said:

But if you look at the 3rd picture, don't you see a strange-looking organic soft texture? 

Not a biologic texture. (was the texture that made the mineral id certain for Me.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived