Hello! Is it an echinoid?

Badia

Hi!

This is another specimen I found next to the others I just posted. While the others are red and look like coral, this one looked to me as a skull at first glance. I collected it and I found out it had an intertesting soft texture over the hard stone when I started to clean it. I can say it is a bit like skin... so I stopped the cleaning process because it came off. It seems to be broken. Maybe an echinoid? The problem is always that the fossil may be really inside the matrix...  Thanks!

fosil cabeza 4.jpg

fosil cabeza 1.jpg

fosil cabeza 2.jpg

fosil cabeza 3.jpg

I don't see anything that would suggest fossil, but you should wait for more replies that might have further insight and could prove me wrong.

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Badia said:

This is another specimen I found next to the others I just posted.

Please include the location information in each thread, makes it easier for Us to identify things.

Also a scale (ruler) for size should be included.

This rock looks like a piece of a chert nodule. May have some fossils, but I do not see any.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I am not seeing a fossil either and definitely not echinoid. I collect a lot of urchins.

It looks a bit like limestone or dolomite to me. Rocks composed of that often weather into unusual shapes that often look organic.

May we see a close up of this area that I’ve circled in red?

76717789-515F-44EA-A0C4-C99CB31FC818.jpeg.633c079ea225359063bc31e7979e6f7a.jpeg

If there is anything Fossil it could be this, but I need a better picture. Often fossils can be found in matrix where the fossil is of the same composition at the matrix it is found in, but also it may be of different composition and stands in contrast to the matrix it is in. That area is smooth while the area around it is rough.

It doesn't look like any echinoid I've seen. Although, I haven't seen many. There are parts on it that may be stuff.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

8 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

As far as I know all echinoderms are intolerant of freshwater.

That's correct.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Sorry about the scale and the data. You are absolutely right.

It is 11x12x12 cm. It comes from eastern Madrid province, a small town called Santorcaz, in Spain. 

Hello what have you smoke?_vti_cnf_hearty-laugh.gif

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

There might be bioerosion signs (different type of borings, e.g. bivalve and worm borings) on the specimen, but it's hard to say. Higher resolution images might change my initial thought.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you Herve for your understading! I may be wrong but not high...

I enclose a new picture of the specimen. Hey, you may be right and might not be a fossil after all5bfd2340ae98a_fosilcabezab1.jpg.a51c0ead2730283457a6f1240f45132c.jpg5bfd234847e08_fsilcabeab2.jpg.83b4c3ce753315b7d66d975723aa343c.jpg... that's why I am asking for your opinion here...

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Badia said:

I enclose a new picture of the specimen.

I still see nothing fossil here. Sorry.

Please forgive herve for the misplaced attempt at humor.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Could you retake this image in higher resolution, or ask someone nearby to make that? :)

5bfb05c41ef47_fosilcabeza3.jpg.be86f86440811fec86e0efd23bc95ca9.thumb.jpg.275bfe5c2fec22ff4a08c7ff8d73cee1.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library