By George... I Think I’ve “Got It”...

InfoHungryMom

It is something , and it IS encapsulated/encased/enrobed?

Thoughts?

Thank you! 

5bfc4fbd10642_shellsfossilsornot3.jpg.c0764c7211ab504000e50277a87c3a4e.jpg 5bfc4f285f783_shellsfossilsornot.thumb.jpg.5d41657e152497a1beba23ef88235efc.jpg

shells fossils or not 4.jpg

IMG_5678.jpg

shells fossils or not.jpg

Edited by InfoHungryMom
Too happy with close-up shots! And I am stubborn!

Looks to be geologic. Two different color minerals mixed together.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Argh!!!!!

Please re-examine even if same deduction...thank you! 

@Max-fossils  would love your input here!

Scratch the rock with a steel knife blade. If scratched it might be a well worn shell. If not scratched, it is probably a quartz rich and is not a shell with original color patterns.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

57 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

Argh!!!!!

Please re-examine even if same deduction...thank you! 

@Max-fossils  would love your input here!

Agree with the others, just a rock. 

Then for the other shells, do you need ID too? 

Just in case you do, it's, from left to right, this:

Nassarius reticulatus, Buccinum undatum, (land snail, I don't know which species), N. reticulatus

Nassarius reticulatus is actually the name that Linnaeus gave to it. It seems like it is now known as Tritia reticulata. It's gonna take a while for me to get used to the new name (I don't like it either :P)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

You’re my go-to expert Max!  DANG!

Will scratch it after work with a steel knife blade, but isn’t a steroidal or antifungal cream safer?  Just a thought,.....  :D

<~~~ Doctor Mom AND Queen of A.D.D.

AND..... somewhat knowledgeable about most everything EXCEPT Fossils......:ighappy:

4 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

but isn’t a steroidal or antifungal cream safer?  Just a thought,.....  :D

Sure... go ahead & scratch it with a cream. Don't think it really matter's what type though. :P

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

RULES OF DERMATOLOGY.... 

1.  “If it is wet, dry it; if it is dry, wet it."

2.“How do you bend a potato chip?”

The answer, “Soak it in water.”

I don't recall steel knife blade rule...  but if you have 'Moh rules, I'll follow'm   =D

(STILL changed pics one more time... um.... ynot?  OOPS... WHY NOT?!  psst... thanks "y")

Sorry when you change the pictures or edit the text after members have commented the thread becomes confusing for anyone who is reading this for the first time because it stops making sense.  :) ID threads are really useful for future references too.

Stop Making Sense?

Wasn’t that The Talking Heads?

This ONE is making me more bonkers... I put a “warning stubborn member” on there AND EDIT ACKNOWLEDGMENTS....   (‘cuz it’s a shell, dagnabit!). 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry when you change the pictures or edit the text after members have commented the thread because comes confusing for anyone who is reading this for the first time because it stops making sense.  :)

20 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

(STILL changed pics one more time... um.... ynot?  OOPS... WHY NOT?!  psst... thanks "y")

I am sooooooooooooo confused now!:wacko:

Was ynot calling these obvious gastropod shells a metamorphic rock? Or was he just talking about the center piece in the first picture? :headscratch:(I have never seen him make such a blatant mistake:(.)

Maybe he lost his mind and can not be making anymore IDs for people, truly a sad day.:(

Do not worry, I will keep him locked up so he will not give anymore incorrect IDs.:thumbsu:

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Really nice gastropods, but, can we see the opposite side of the specimen in question? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

FIRST...

1.  Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

2.  Moonlight feels right...

3.  It's raining cats and dogs, and I just stepped in a poodle

4.  If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

SECOND...

It's " @Kane 's fault" (not really, but see if you can follow here)The pictures I was posting were lousy, and I asked my youngest son to please get me a USB Microscope... I was chatting with Kane, and I asked for advice about the microscope my son recommended.  Kane said it was very good, but he recommended a GREAT USB microscope- the one he has,

BUT THEN, he TOTALLY MESSED ME UP BY TYPING...

“But if your kids wanted to save a few bucks, and if the goal was simply to snap some nice close-ups, there are some handy pluggable ones that are a bit more portable."

Kane now knew this was not REALLY the kids' money... it was from BOMAD... "Bank of Mom and Dad",

so my crafty son... INSTEAD of getting me "the happy scope" ... my son bought THE "IF MY KIDS WANTED TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS"  OTHER SCOPE...  HE KNEW I WOULD GET FRUSTRATED WITH IT AND HE HOPED I WOULD THEN GIVE IT TO HIM!!!  (And it’s working....  argh!)

What, you may ask, does this have to do with @ynot or gastropods?  Absolutely NOTHING!  I just wasted tons of time and STILL took a few fuzzy pictures!

HEY, it's one of those days :oyh:

@Kane and @ynot - thank you for letting me joke around and mention you.  You have both been wonderful to me, and I appreciate the advice from you and from everyone else who has been awesome!

Blame it on the ADD?  I didn't like my pictures, so I have changed them 3 times today!

(typing at work... if this has errors or is weird... oops!)

14 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

I just wasted tons of time and STILL took a few fuzzy pictures!

It takes a little practice to become good with a digital microscope. Cost is not so much the issue as lack of use. Just practice with it and You will get better pictures.

Most microscopes have a narrow field of focus. Sometimes it is better to reduce the magnification so the focal range is increased, then crop the picture to show the item with less unnecessary border space.

Photo stacking software can be used to increase the focal range.

9 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

I didn't like my pictures, so I have changed them 3 times today!

It would be much less confusing for all of us, and probably easier for you, too, if you would just add new photos instead of removing the old ones. Just add them to one of your new replies instead of editing your original post. People here do it all the time. Sometimes our first photos are blurry because they're out of focus, or the light wasn't bright enough, or we moved the camera, so we add some new and better photos. I see that in your new photos you wanted to compare your unknown specimen with some gastropods that have some resemblance to your rock. I can see why you wanted to add those new photos, but you really should just add them to your post without removing your original photos. It doesn't take much to confuse me these days. Heck, I poured boiling water into my cereal bowl instead of my tea mug yesterday. No need to make TFF any more complicated than necessary.

• I found this Informative 2

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

8 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

It would be much less confusing for all of us, and probably easier for you, too, if you would just add new photos instead of removing the old ones. Just add them to one of your new replies instead of editing your original post. People here do it all the time. Sometimes our first photos are blurry because they're out of focus, or the light wasn't bright enough, or we moved the camera, so we add some new and better photos. I see that in your new photos you wanted to compare your unknown specimen with some gastropods that have some resemblance to your rock. I can see why you wanted to add those new photos, but you really should just add them to your post without removing your original photos. It doesn't take much to confuse me these days. Heck, I poured boiling water into my cereal bowl instead of my tea mug yesterday. No need to make TFF any more complicated than necessary.

Well said!  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

51 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Really nice gastropods, but, can we see the opposite side of the specimen in question? :)

YES, YES, YES! 

Everyone here is much more knowledgable about fossils than me, but I KNOW MY SHELLS!  The problem is that I STILL cannot show the "bumps and grooves and indentations" with my "fabulous photography"... ::sigh::

shells fossils or not abyss 6.jpg

shells fossils or not abyss 7.jpg

shells fossils or not abyss 8.JPG

When You look at a shell there is an obvious shell layer with a hollow interior (visible even when filled with sediment).

This living chamber is not visible in the piece in question, it is a complete solid of one material.

Many rocks can have a superficial shape or color pattern that looks biologig but is not. You have to look beyond the shape and color for the finer details.

Hope this helps,

noty

PS ynot is still locked up.

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

Hi Pagurus,

This was almost a joke... I am "Ms. Seashell", so I could not imagine that my assessment was inaccurate.  (Frankly, I may still drop it in some acid to face the "source of my frustration"... it's driving me bonkers.  Wait... I was already there! )  As for your "incident" yesterday, I cannot begin to tell you how fond Brits and I are of milk in our tea.  Perhaps you needed a spot of tea, properly served?  Did that cereal REALLY deserve the milk anyway?  Do you go for the "twigs and figs" or the "sugar and spice"?  You may be onto something.  I have yet to hear of the marketing of "iced cereal" or "cold cereal served hot".  Of course, you might opt to freeze oatmeal on a stick?  Grab and go?  Just a thought...     DO NOT WORRY... this was a "one-time thing", and I have spent far too much time worrying about it:doh!:  If I spend this much work time online again, I will have to fire myself (or at the very least give myself a stern reprimand)