Sealing fish fossils

PwcExtreme

Me and the family did a trip this summer to Wyoming and picked up some nice fish fossils. I want to use them on my new BBQ islands backsplash but I want them to last. What is a hardcore sealer I can use. It’s outside, no cover, I live in soCal so temp is 40s to 90s, but 70s 10 mths out of the year, no snow and little rain :(

ty

Im assuming that you have fish from the 'split fish' layers?  If so, you may have a problem?   If you got your fish from the 18 inch layer, bottom cap layer or others that are much harder, then you are in business for sure.  @Ptychodus04 is the one who can most likely help you out if you have the softer rock fishes.   Good luck

RB

• I found this Informative 1

We went with Fossil Safari normal day trip butttt we scored, the guy pulled dwn a chuck for just me and my son and we did work! No sure how hard or where we were but it was dream for us to do.

3D247501-E143-4388-B6B7-F9017E6A79C9.jpeg

Thanks for the tag @RJB

@PwcExtreme, your best bet is to completely soak them in a commercial stone sealer. It should hold up to the weather. Eventually, it will all breakdown so I would suggest an annual application for maintenance.

You should be able to find this at your local big box hardware store. Since this is a construction application rather than the typical scientific applications we normally see, I don’t see any issue with using a commercial product rather than a conservation grade product.

• I found this Informative 3