Chomper

I was at Matako cabins this weekend and found this where parts of the cliff had broke away. It looks like a turtle shell. Can any one ID this for me please.

turtle 1 w.jpg

turtle 2 w.jpg

turtle 3 w.jpg

turtle 4 w.jpg

Turtle 5 w.jpg

Turtle 6 w.jpg

turtle size.jpg

1 hour ago, Chomper said:

So Tiny .... I don't see any suture lines to identify it as turtle.  In this image you can see the tell-tale signs of a 'wavy' scallop texture.  Looks like a bivalve steinkern (cast/mold) is in there at least. That area is well known for its fantastic shell fauna.

Turtle 5 w.jpg

5bfc86c0348f6_Turtle5w.thumb.jpg.52b38865f66fa28b5b685d09da83812b.jpg.2f7aa1f67f77a3c5c89e7db7637bc721.jpg

For comparison:

fossil-casts-scallop-shell-chesapecten.thumb.jpg.cb979f13a593879e75c3143cf8964b7f.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

That was the bottom/inside. It was attached to a large piece of dirt,shells,etc. I didn't want to remove anymore around it after I chipped a piece off. 

I believe the pieces are too irregular to be shell sutures

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It may possibly be the internal mold of something, but i think just a limestone nodule. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What about a badly worn crab shell?

One side is pretty obviously dirt and shell debris (and you can see the shell imprint), but the other side is ... strange. The curved shape of it does make me think turtle or crab. 

The first photo looks like a cracked turtle shell and this photo below outlined in red looks a like a entire turtle sitting on shells to me. Can a turtle fossilize is the question? Or is it a cast of a turtle? @Chomper @Harry Pristis

possible turtleRed.jpg

Sorry, BV, I see no evidence that this ever was a turtle.  I see cracks in the rounded surface, but these appear to be random, not the regular or geometrical sutures you'd see in a turtle carapace.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest