If THESE are ALL geological, “I’m going Back to Rockville”. (REM!).... rock 1

InfoHungryMom

Thank you @Kane for sending “the plate of spaghetti”!  I am taking too many pictures so please just ask for more if you only see part of “something”

Not entirely sure what you mean... :headscratch:I'm in the midst of heavy end-of-semester grading, so I may not be as quick (or may be very bleary-eyed :D ). 

Perhaps show us all some pics?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You spoke just as I hit reply for the second time WITH pictures... sorry!:doh!:

Sorry, but not seeing fossils here.

Where is the biologic symmetry?

Looks metamorphic rock to My eyes.

Last picture shows fractured quartz.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested already, but have you considered joining a local fossil/mineral club?  Clubs are a great way to meet people who can put eyes on your specimens (as opposed to photos), they usually have lots of people who bring a great deal of local knowledge to the table, and they arrange field trips where you can learn about the local geology and paleontology.  You can learn in a few months what you might struggle for years to figure out on your own.

Don

They are rocks, but don't go back to Rockville.  You'll waste another year.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

YES- I am actively working on “also learning locally” in 3 different ways.  Alas, most groups are “on hiatus” until January. ....I have heard everyone “loud and clear”, and I know it is coming from kindness rather than condescension.

I am here because I like it here, most members have asked me to stay, AND I will forever “blame @Max-fossils “ for the kindest and warmest welcome ever.

Rather than “give-up here”, as long as you don’t mind my company, .....    AND I am learning.  

I have said before, this is an amusing “place/situation” for me.  I am used to being in settings where I am pretty knowledgeable, or at least, “I know enough to be dangerous (for me!)”. My husband, sons, and nephew are all science “wizzes”.  I became science phobic in 11th grade after a “double-standard by the teacher, bullying” year of physics BEFORE calculus.  I was the only girl and a year younger than the other students.  I left high school a year early, but never took another science class again... until “this, now.”

If my “learning curve” becomes a nuisance, please let me know- and yes, I am sincere.

Karen

If you can't join a local club use your internet to learn how to identify:

1. the major rock groups - igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary

2. The difference between float from local geology and "imported" (normally decorative/commercial)

3. Use geological maps digital & paper to identify local geologic formations

4. Quartz, calcite, sandstone, shale

5. Streak & acid (vinegar/bleach) testing for mineral id

These are all things we've all had to learn in some way at some time if we wanted to grow into the hobby of rock & fossil collecting.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Thank you.  I am already well past your recommendations, but I appreciate your assistance.

Karen

Archived