If THESE are ALL geological, “I’m going Back to Rockville”. (REM!).... rock 1

InfoHungryMom

Thank you @Kane for sending “the plate of spaghetti”!  I am taking too many pictures so please just ask for more if you only see part of “something”

Not entirely sure what you mean... :headscratch:I'm in the midst of heavy end-of-semester grading, so I may not be as quick (or may be very bleary-eyed :D ). 

Perhaps show us all some pics?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You spoke just as I hit reply for the second time WITH pictures... sorry!:doh!:

Sorry, but not seeing fossils here.

Where is the biologic symmetry?

Looks metamorphic rock to My eyes.

Last picture shows fractured quartz.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested already, but have you considered joining a local fossil/mineral club?  Clubs are a great way to meet people who can put eyes on your specimens (as opposed to photos), they usually have lots of people who bring a great deal of local knowledge to the table, and they arrange field trips where you can learn about the local geology and paleontology.  You can learn in a few months what you might struggle for years to figure out on your own.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

They are rocks, but don't go back to Rockville.  You'll waste another year.

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

YES- I am actively working on “also learning locally” in 3 different ways.  Alas, most groups are “on hiatus” until January. ....I have heard everyone “loud and clear”, and I know it is coming from kindness rather than condescension.

I am here because I like it here, most members have asked me to stay, AND I will forever “blame @Max-fossils “ for the kindest and warmest welcome ever.

Rather than “give-up here”, as long as you don’t mind my company, .....    AND I am learning.  

I have said before, this is an amusing “place/situation” for me.  I am used to being in settings where I am pretty knowledgeable, or at least, “I know enough to be dangerous (for me!)”. My husband, sons, and nephew are all science “wizzes”.  I became science phobic in 11th grade after a “double-standard by the teacher, bullying” year of physics BEFORE calculus.  I was the only girl and a year younger than the other students.  I left high school a year early, but never took another science class again... until “this, now.”

If my “learning curve” becomes a nuisance, please let me know- and yes, I am sincere.

Karen

If you can't join a local club use your internet to learn how to identify:

1. the major rock groups - igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary

2. The difference between float from local geology and "imported" (normally decorative/commercial)

3. Use geological maps digital & paper to identify local geologic formations

4. Quartz, calcite, sandstone, shale

5. Streak & acid (vinegar/bleach) testing for mineral id

These are all things we've all had to learn in some way at some time if we wanted to grow into the hobby of rock & fossil collecting.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Thank you.  I am already well past your recommendations, but I appreciate your assistance.

Karen