Crinoids in epoxy

Manticocerasman

This is more a piece of artwork than a prep job.

In my area they excavate Belgian blue hardstone and is used a lot in buildings. This is a durable crinoidic limestone from the early carboniferous ( Tournaisian ).

I've colected multiple times in one of those quarries, and in some layers you can find countles crinoid stems.

Now I had the idea to use a discarded piece of this crinoidic limestone and make a hole in the middle , I filled up the hole with transparant epoxy in multimple layers and between each layer I droped a few of the crinoid stem's that can be found in the stone.

I pollished both sides of the piece so that you could see through the stone and the fossils in the epoxy to create the idea that you can see through the stone and see the fossils in the limestone.

IMG_20181127_162027.thumb.jpg.3c80d4af35b158a0ec5c9538944e8fc5.jpgIMG_20181127_161537.thumb.jpg.81b7c7cab8e9159c9a46511eba544f5c.jpgIMG_20181127_162039.thumb.jpg.18e997de58e92d8c051629e23104a405.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Cool idea which you've successfully carried out to fine result!

Can we look forward to more?

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I bet @Herb will like this!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Clever! I think that would sell for good money.

Somehow I get the impression that the columnals you've used are bigger and in better shape than the ones in the rock.  ;)

Very cool! :dinothumb:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

So wonderfully different. I never would have dreamed it.  Good work and thanks for sharing with us.:hammer01:

Great unique art usually starts with experimentation.  Looks to me like this was a success. Nicely done!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Very nice!  Did you do anything special to keep the bubbles out of the epoxy?  Was this a slow setting epoxy?

Kevin, 

No carving of a crinoid going up the side of the block?  :(  :P  

Actually, it looks fantastic, as is. 

Well done, sir. :D 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:dinothumb::dinothumb::ptero::ammonite01:

Showing imagination and creativity.

GRRRRRREEEEEAAAAAAAAT!!

Trying to show the connection between size,morphology,lithology,the various aspects of fossils(macro-/meso-/microscopical)

Me like

13 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Nice job!

Thx John :)

13 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Cool idea which you've successfully carried out to fine result!

Can we look forward to more?

Thx, since people find this interesting I might make more in the future :)

13 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I like the look of it when it was lit from behind. Good work . 

Thx Bobby

13 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

I bet @Herb will like this!

apparently he does :P

12 hours ago, Foozil said:

Thats awesome, thanks for sharing! 

Thx :D

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think that's extraordinary! 

What a great use of the imagination. :)

Thx Adam :)

11 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Clever! I think that would sell for good money.

Somehow I get the impression that the columnals you've used are bigger and in better shape than the ones in the rock.  ;)

Thx :)  I'm not in it for the money, I like the educational aspect, you can see where the stone is made of.

I used some large columnals, but big ones are also present in the stone, althoug this fragment doesn't show anny of those.

10 hours ago, Herb said:

Very cool! :dinothumb:

Thx Herb.

10 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

So wonderfully different. I never would have dreamed it.  Good work and thanks for sharing with us.:hammer01:

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

Great unique art usually starts with experimentation.  Looks to me like this was a success. Nicely done!

Thx, it started as an idea for an educational object, but it turned out to be quite artistic and aesthetic

9 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Very nice!  Did you do anything special to keep the bubbles out of the epoxy?  Was this a slow setting epoxy?

It was slow setting epoxy, I had to stir in the epoxy with a toothpick to remove the bubbles.

9 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Neat idea!

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Kevin, 

No carving of a crinoid going up the side of the block?  :(  :P  

Actually, it looks fantastic, as is. 

Well done, sir. :D 

Hmmm... it might be a good idea to ad a carving of a crinoid :P and a little text about the geological aspect of the stone :)

I'll work on that .

5 hours ago, doushantuo said:

:dinothumb::dinothumb::ptero::ammonite01:

Showing imagination and creativity.

GRRRRRREEEEEAAAAAAAAT!!

Trying to show the connection between size,morphology,lithology,the various aspects of fossils(macro-/meso-/microscopical)

Me like

Thanks Ben :)

also for those with good eyesight there is a smal horn coral in the epoxy to ( Caninia cornucopiae )

• I found this Informative 2

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Your project shows much imagination! I love how the backlighting  creates such a different look. I have tinkered with epoxy and crinoid bits using a wineglass and layering crinoids in it and altering the layers with subtle color changes. Unfortunately this was created and donated to a school and I do not have a picture. But,  I think I have enough pieces to recreate something again now that seeing your piece has inspired me to think out of the box a bit!!! 

Mike

20 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Thx :)  I'm not in it for the money, I like the educational aspect, you can see where the stone is made of.

I used some large columnals, but big ones are also present in the stone, althoug this fragment doesn't show anny of those.

I know, I don't want to imply that you should sell it, only that it probably would sell well. It reminds me of tables and the like, made of wood with gaps in it that are then filled with colored epoxy, and you might be surprised how much these things sell for. Your piece is a work of art, like those tables, as well as educational.