Here is a nice little gastropod cluster on the matrix that was rescued from a construction site along Reynard Way in San Diego. I think they are in the family Naticidae and are possibly  Polinices galianor. 

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd love to nail it down more specifically if possible.

Naticidae

"Reynard Way"

~3-1.5Mya

Pliocene to Early Pleistocene

San Diego Formation

San Diego County, CA

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Mollusca

Class: Gastropoda

-- Subclass: Caenogastropoda

Order: Littorinimorpha

Family: Naticidae

Genus: Favor Polinices?

Species: Galianor

snail 2.JPG

snail 1.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Rather nice, but couldn't help with the species, I'm afraid. :)

Good on you for taking advantage of the construction site! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yeah, a Naticid for sure.  In northern California, Eureka, I use to find lots of these.  We had 6 different species up there and I in no way could tell them apart.   Once in awhile I would find a giant one of these and the way to tell them apart from the Polinices gastro's is that the umbilicus in the naticids is covered with shell material and the polinices has a hole.    We locals just called em 'moonies'. 

RB

Edited by RJB
wrong information
  • I found this Informative 3

On 11/28/2018 at 5:10 AM, RJB said:

Yeah, a Naticid for sure.  In northern California, Eureka, I use to find lots of these.  We had 6 different species up there and I in no way could tell them apart.   Once in awhile I would find a giant one of these and the way to tell them apart from the Polinices gastro's is that the umbilicus in the naticids is covered with shell material and the polinices has a hole.    We locals just called em 'moonies'. 

RB

Thats a nice tip! I’d love to see one of the giant ones. I’ll put Eureka on the bucket list. 

19 hours ago, Desert_survivor said:

Thats a nice tip! I’d love to see one of the giant ones. I’ll put Eureka on the bucket list. 

Scotia Bluffs just south of Eureka.  The naticids are easy to find, the polinices are very large but very rare to find.  Good luck

RB

On 11/28/2018 at 8:10 AM, RJB said:

RB

RB, i remember the moonies from when I was in norcal...got a chuckle when you mentioned that!...

Nice find Desert Survivor!

Regards, Chris 

On 11/28/2018 at 7:24 AM, FossilDAWG said:

@MikeR may be able to help.

Don

I would need to see the umbilicus.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

On 11/30/2018 at 3:54 AM, RJB said:

Scotia Bluffs just south of Eureka.  The naticids are easy to find, the polinices are very large but very rare to find.  Good luck

RB

Thanks for the tip, RB!

On 12/1/2018 at 2:12 PM, MikeR said:

I would need to see the umbilicus.

Hi MikeR,

I am not sure where the umbilicus is on a naticid, but here is an up close shot of a another specimen from the same formation (different location). Does that help?

image.png.8ded360a0ed01b682587396cdcb40bf6.pngimage.png.746a07b1d0025716560d6c3cc3e81713.png

10 hours ago, Desert_survivor said:

I am not sure where the umbilicus is on a naticid

Think 'belly botton'.

RB

47 minutes ago, RJB said:

Think 'belly botton'.

RB

Lol, of course, but where is the belly button on a naticid? Do the soft tissues fossilize? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Desert_survivor said:

Lol, of course, but where is the belly button on a naticid? Do the soft tissues fossilize? Thanks.

The umbilicus is covered with shell.  You have the spiral 'apex on one side and the belly botton on the other.  I will try and get you a picture later on.  Ive got a couple of moonies sittin in my garage. 

RB

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

The umbilicus is covered with shell.  You have the spiral 'apex on one side and the belly botton on the other.  I will try and get you a picture later on.  Ive got a couple of moonies sittin in my garage. 

RB

Ah! I see. I’ll post a picture of the reverse side when I get home later. Thanks again!