Help for identification

Ammonight

Help for identification? I have nearly zero experience. Thanks.

20181128_141910.jpg

"The first fossil you find will always have a special place in your heart. You will hold it dear to you, as it is the beginning of a pathway of adventure and discovery." - Nathan Tan @Ammonight

Yes, the attachment point of a barnacle. 

Here is an image from the net.(Twitter). 

Image result for barnacle base

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I actually figured one out... :faint:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

So, not a fossil, but recent? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yep. 

Just wanted to get that out there, as no one had mentioned it wasn't a fossil. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

55 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

no one had mentioned it wasn't a fossil.

How is this determined?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

10 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

How is this determined?

Essentially, it doesn't look that old when you look really close.

It was easy, isn't it? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I have plenty of fossil barnacles attached to rocks, shells etc. If this was found on the beach I'd suspect modern but nothing in its appearance would make it so to me.

You fellows are probably correct that it is modern assuming it was a beach find. Perhaps I missed some information regarding its provenance.

I presume, it is a coastal find, and the hard substrate is a rock. It will be difficult to prove it's fossil with the evidences so far. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This is where being informed only by photos can get tricky, I suppose.

If one were to run a finger over it and feel for evidence of it being raised from the surface, then maybe that would be the evidence for recent?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

10 hours ago, Innocentx said:

This is where being informed only by photos can get tricky, I suppose.

If one were to run a finger over it and feel for evidence of it being raised from the surface, then maybe that would be the evidence for recent?

No. A fossil barnacle, or even a paleozoic coral could also be raised from the surface.

One would need contextual evidence of fossils in the area or detailed knowledge  of barnacle morphology I think.

I got "Malaysia" but not beach. We all tend to make assumptions and am afraid that the folks making the inquiries take these as fact. Again; I agree that this could be a beach find and modern but didn't understand how ya'll came to the conclusion that it was modern. Indeed, if this were found in a fresh slump on the beach at Calvert Cliffs everyone would know it was a fossil. If it got winnowed into the surf one might assume it was modern.

In my imagination I can even see the "rock" as the end of a cetacean limb bone. I wouldn't say it was that because I need to have more evidence such as a zoomed out picture & close up of the area. Perhaps Ammonight will give us additional information regarding the specimen.

All I did was look at the picture enlarged. I could see the light source appeared to be coming from the upper right (or 2 o'clock) & the faint shadows it created faced lower left (or 7 'clock). That told me the edges were raised, indicating (to me) that it was on the surface & fairly fresh & most likely a barnacle. I know, not very scientific, just observational, but it usually work's for me. :)

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Archived