Going to Victoria. Possible fossil sites?

FrostbyteFossils

Im going to Victoria on Friday for a week and visiting various locations including:

Wangaratta
Bendigo
Ballarat
Warnambool
Apollo bay
pt phillip bay (beaumaris)

So my question is are there any good fossil sites around these areas that i could find some ancient treasures in? Thanks. :)

@FrostbyteFossils Hello!

There are a couple sites you can check out on your trip through Victoria. The first one is Beaumaris, just go down to the Yacht Club and walk around the cliffs and you will find many Miocene fossils (Mostly echinoids but some shark teeth and bone.) Fossil Beach in Mornington is definitely worth checking out as the cliffs there are filled with Miocene gastropods. In Bendigo there is a site called Spring Gully were you can find Ordovician graptolites. This site is a little hard to get to as it is in the middle of the bush but I will try and get you some directions. Near Warranobool you can check out beaches around Dutton Way and Narrawong. You can find many Pliocene aged shark teeth on these beaches after storms and strong winds, though they can be quite small and worn. The Portland harbour cliffs are also good to check out. They are filled with invert fossils and some vertebrate material. 

Hope you enjoy your trip and be sure to share some photos with us!

4 minutes ago, DanKurek said:

@FrostbyteFossils Hello!

There are a couple sites you can check out on your trip through Victoria. The first one is Beaumaris, just go down to the Yacht Club and walk around the cliffs and you will find many Miocene fossils (Mostly echinoids but some shark teeth and bone.) Fossil Beach in Mornington is definitely worth checking out as the cliffs there are filled with Miocene gastropods. In Bendigo there is a site called Spring Gully were you can find Ordovician graptolites. This site is a little hard to get to as it is in the middle of the bush but I will try and get you some directions. Near Warranobool you can check out beaches around Dutton Way and Narrawong. You can find many Pliocene aged shark teeth on these beaches after storms and strong winds, though they can be quite small and worn. The Portland harbour cliffs are also good to check out. They are filled with invert fossils and some vertebrate material. 

Hope you enjoy your trip and be sure to share some photos with us!

Thank you so much i shall indeed share photos :)

Archived