RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

5 hours ago, 6ix said:

Any more movement on the Meandricampus?  That looks like a mean little crab.

Ive put him to the side for awhile.  Very difficult prep those!   Its like I need to be in the 'mood' to finish those?

RB

On 5/16/2019 at 6:18 AM, RJB said:

Ive put him to the side for awhile.  Very difficult prep those!   Its like I need to be in the 'mood' to finish those?

RB

Nothing a cold tall mug of beer can't fix Ron. :crab:

• I found this Informative 1

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

On 4/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, RJB said:

Got out into the garage today after a trip into town and started a small Tumidocarcinus concretion.     I had 'whacked' this open and glued it back together quite awhile ago and decided to just go ahead and go on the prep attack.   Ive got a HECK of another concretion from NZ coming in a week or so, so would like to get this one finished and then maybe start that one?   Nice to have so many prep projects that I have to somehow make a decision which one to attack!  :)  Poor me.    Here are pictures of my prep job of today. 

Oh, this is only about 4 hours of prep.  Even though this one is 'sticky', these small ones dont take long? 

RB

LTC001A.JPG

LTC001B.JPG

LTC001C.JPG

LTC001D.JPG

@RJB what scribe and stylus is that in your second photo? Is that your ME9100? I just ordered a CP9361 and might have to get a different bushing and stylus on it as the default tip is a bit small.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:52 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Do you ever do a ventral prep? Can you tell dorsal from ventral without cracking the concretion open?

Generally he can tell which is side is dorsal because that side is a bit flatter without as much of the concretion on top. You can read the nodules.

@RJB let's see the progress on that big beastly crab from New Zealand. :fingerscrossed::popcorn: :drool:

34 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

what scribe and stylus is that in your second photo?

That scribe is the Monster Super Jack from Paleo tools.  You make a mistake with this tool and you have some fixin to do!!! 

30 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

let's see the progress on that big beastly crab from New Zealand

Comin up my good friend.

RB

Just now, RJB said:

That scribe is the Monster Super Jack from Paleo tools.  You make a mistake with this tool and you have some fixin to do!!! 

Comin up my good friend.

RB

@RJB yeah I thought that scribe looked big! It's huuuuuuuge. Pumped about that NZ crabby. :thumbsu:

Ok, now everyone will know that the Great RB makes huge mistakes!!!!   Everybody thought I was such a miracle worker on crabs,,,, and now,,,,, sadly,,,,,,,,,, im  just a fossil crab messer upper!!!!   My biggest mistake was cutting right through the top of the Propodus.  My second mistake was making the color of my two part putty a TERRIBLE color!!!  Brings the eye right to the mistake!  To say the least!!!   This was really tuff for me.  The top of the Propodus was crushed, making for some tuff prep,  not counting having to work through the 2 part putty.   Im so disgusted with this that im gunna havta to figure out a way to replace this putty?  Not happy with this at all!!!  and not only that, if you will take notice?,,, where ever the crab was a darker color made for the dreaded 'sticky' crab syndrome!!!    My wife says Murphy does not exist!  Well, she is dead wrong!!!  and if I ever find him, there will be more than words exchanged!!!!!!!    But.. still a neato crab.  The claw is measuring 4 3/4 inches so far and a ways still to go.  ONE HUGE CLAW!!!!!

RB

NMC003D.JPG

NMC003G.JPG

NMC003H.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

Looks like it might still turn out really pretty.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Even the best have bad days. Once you’re done with the prep, scribe some of the putty off with your ME9100 below the level of the crab and mix up a bit the right color and apply it to the existing putty.

10 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Even the best have bad days. Once you’re done with the prep, scribe some of the putty off with your ME9100 below the level of the crab and mix up a bit the right color and apply it to the existing putty.

Way ahead of  you buddy. Just have to get to it. 

RB

Here is a picture to show you the size difference.  In this picture you can see that the intire size of the smaller concretion is about the size of the carapace on the big crab!  Quite the differnce!!!

RB

DSCN0020.JPG

Here is a picture of the work I did today along with a Washington crab which is what I usually do.  Did about 5 more hours on 'Mr. NIghtmare Crab'!    Gots a long ways to go and still some more fix it problems but thats par for course for this crab.  Here is also a picture of the front of the snarge showing some real problems with the left pincers going into the rock with missing rock and crab parts that will have to be repaired!  and of course the huge part of the missing left arm.  Uuuuuuug!!! 

RB

NMC003J.JPG

Love the scale photos!! And that one in your hand is a "little one"  B)

@RJB wow that mega crab is certainly coming along nicely. Keep it up!

It doesnt look like I did much in these next 5 hours.   I did take out that horrible color of 2 part putty and added some more of a much better color.  I still have to sculpt/conture it but it should look a heck of alot better in the end.  I also did a bunch of work on the left Dactyl, movable finger by exsposing more and filling in the missing part with some more colored 2 part putty.  Should come out ok?  Still lots to do but here is an updated photo. 

RB

NMC003K.JPG

That guy is coming along nicely. I think the repairs will turn out great. Not that I ever had any doubts.

• 1 month later...

Wow - now I know what you were talking about @Doctor Mud Now I wish I'd also grabbed that weird one - that claw was mad big.

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

did you finish the tumido with the big claw?

ive put Mr. Big aside for now.  Got busy with the fossil fish's. 

1 hour ago, 6ix said:

Now I wish I'd also grabbed that weird one - that claw was mad big.

I am always lookiing for another 'big' crab.  Contact me if your ever interested in a trade?   Thanks

RB

10 hours ago, RJB said:

ive put Mr. Big aside for now.  Got busy with the fossil fish's. 

I am always lookiing for another 'big' crab.  Contact me if your ever interested in a trade?   Thanks

RB

Fair enough Ron. It was a real challenge, with lots of assembly required!

always good to have other fossils to work on.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:25 AM, 6ix said:

Any more movement on the Meandricampus?  That looks like a mean little crab.

Here ya go.  it could have used a bit more work but this is where I stopped.  This was a tuff prep for me. 

RB

Here is how I left it a couple of months ago?

MPA.JPG.633145fbdcd1396e6e566f8bbbcab9f4.JPG

and here is how it looks now.   Cool crabs but difficult to prep.  Very grainy rock!

MPB.JPG.d8f8fe588d82baf75ea0a1dc98d5b7af.JPG