RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

Gees, two eight leggers down to the tippies in a row.  Very cool.  Personally, I kinda like it when the dactyls go down into the matrix.  Makes them a little more 3D and like they were alive when they got buried.  Way to go.

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is taking a lot more time than I had anticipated. Here is almost 5 1/2 hours of 'rock smoothing' today. About 5 more hours to finish it up? I had to redo 2 areas and that just added to the time needed to get the rock sculpted to where I wanted it. I really do want it to look right. I try my best to smooth out the rock to fit the crab. Anyone trying to get rich preppiing crabs and selling them is NOT going to get rich. and this one is not for sale! This one is going into the collection. Pulalius vulgaris from the Lincoln Creek Formation in the state of Washington.

RB

HW001O.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Now, that is a properly shaped concretion for containing a delightfully displayed crab.  I like the colors in the carapace and the way those dactyls are digging into the concretion.  Looking forward to seeing it all buffed up and ready for display.  Congratulations.  "I hate you" ha ha ha.  Keep 'em coming.

• 2 months later...

Been awhile since if worked on a crab and I have to be in the 'mood' to do my finish up work, (rock smoothing) and I didnt have it in me to do the finish up work on the above crab so I picked out 2 concretions and went to town.   The one on the left is a small Tumidocarsinus from New Zealand and the one on the right is a Pulalius  from the state of Washington.  I started on the Pulalius and soon realized it was only a carapace and tossed it aside.  Then I went to town on the Tumido.

Tumido on the left, Pulalius on the right. 

Tum002A.JPG.6e43388d6dbc678fefebb69d513210e5.JPG

This is where I say, "The eagle has landed".   Here you can see where I found the carapace.  Looks much worse than it is. 

Tum002B.JPG.4f88d5375d4d3673d6e19c93d1872537.JPG 

Here I stopped to reglue a piece of leg back on.  You can also see the damaged carapace.  Thats the reason I got it for cheap.  Gunna be a challenge to fix it!!!???

Tum002C.JPG.9c8fc7eb3a54955f1dd4ca651e99a1b6.JPG

Here you can see how two of the legs on the left side of this crab are right between the two sections of rock.  Gunna be a real challenge to make these look right!!!???

Tum002D.JPG.fedf5851ae5ff6157ec0138107924522.JPG

Just under 4 hours of prep.  Im going real fast on this one only because its a b-grade crab.  Still makes me nervous.  and still gots a long ways to go.  My fingers are crossed.  :)

Tum002E.JPG.13539e778a634479cd646c09d06230f7.JPG

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile since ive posted much of anything.  I tried going out to the garage a while ago and all I did was cry so I gave up.  Well, I finally made it out to the garage and did some prepping.  I cant listen to music anymore, so I prep in pure quietness.   I didnt want to have to do much concentrating so I started a sticky Tumido and did a bit of bulk rock removal.  Then, after about 2 1/2 hours the glue nightmare happened!!!

RB

Here you can see a little piece rock that has been glued back on with the thicker viscosity glue and seeing a very small crack I decided to add a tiny fit of the Thin Set glue to wick in and set that crack so I would not lose any more shell?   Well, as I was trying to add the thin set the bottle itself busted a small hair line crack and glue went everywhere!!!  You can see the discoloration on the concretion.  Got glue all over my right hand and fingers and all over my left palm and all over my prep bench!!!   Thats when I called it quits. 

5f5241db515f4_StickyT001A.JPG.edfc9c7fe104dd4a318436b144e64ee1.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

That first photo is from last monday.   Yesterday, Friday, I put in some more time on this crab. 

RB

Some very very sticky parts on this crab!   If you can see that little tiny spot on top of the right carpus, elbow, thats where I hit it with the airscribe.  First time in my life where I crashed into a crab and didnt cuss in anyway or have a heart attack for both!  I  just thought to myself, "hmmm, thats not good" and kept right on going.   You can see 3 tan colored areas on the left side.  The one closest to the carapace is the left carpus.  That one is sittin a bit lower than the other and I found myself 2nd guessing whether of not if it even had a left claw?  You can see the rock on the left front has less rock and it made me wonder?  But, finding it made me feel a whole lot better and I  called it quits. 

5f53840ae0160_StickyT001C.JPG.cdca9ff944ad850b68d5e9269bd16b7a.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Dang, that sure looked sticky! :unsure:

very interesting colors on that one.

i crashed into the crab I’m working on now into exactly the same place. I always remember someone calling these “tool marks of discovery” when you find a bone or element when prepping off rock and looking. We know where the crab bits should be but always get surprises!

I can say that in my case, lucky the scribe makes enough noise to drown out the cussing :thumbsu:

A bit more time into this little beauty and you can see its starting to turn into a crab.   A long ways to go but im in no hurry.

RB

StickyT 001D.JPG

6 hours ago, RJB said:

A bit more time into this little beauty and you can see its starting to turn into a crab.   A long ways to go but im in no hurry.

The crab's in no hurry either. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Made it out to the garage only once this last week but got in some good prep time on this little beauty. 

RB

Looking better.  Rear end is lookin purty dang good too! 

5f5f477855ce7_StickyT001E.JPG.55f8e670bf9029733ce8aff2a5088882.JPG

Left side of crab and here you can see how leg #2 is going deep.  Im gunna have to do some rock diving to get at this one!

5f5f47e4648a0_StickyT001F.JPG.4baa990eb971aaba2da3bd256ca3fda6.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Wow its really coming along

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Oh gees, I do like the two tone colors of this guy.  This one looks like it is going to be yet another beaut  produced by the Crab Whisperer.  Cool one Ron.  Looking forward to the final reveal.

22 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Looking forward to the final reveal.

Me too.  It wouldnt take so long if I could get out to the prep garage more often or to prep even longer when I am out there

On 16.9.2020 at 2:48 PM, RJB said:

Me too.  It wouldnt take so long if I could get out to the prep garage more often or to prep even longer when I am out there

That's just the way things are now, right? I'm getting slower myself nowadays, so I've just decided that we have all the time in the world until we kick the bucket :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Ok, made it out to the garage twice since the last post.  It amazes me how much time is involved in 3 deing these things but its also the most satisfying.  Ive still got a couple of hours on this crab and then I can start the rock smoothing process.  I should be done in about 7 or 8 hours?   Thats another 2 prep sessions for me.

RB

StickyT 001G.JPG