RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

Ok, not a lot more prep time, maybe 3 hours?   Im not keeping track of the time for this one.   Its now official that this is a 4 legger one clawer crab.  The pincers on this right claw was exstreamly soft and fragile.  I had a hard time with them!  Really beat them up even though I was going slow and taking my time and trying to do a good job. Not happy with them.   But,,, my son stopped  by,  took a look and even he said it was a really good looking 4 legger one clawer crab.  Now all I gotta do is do some rock smoothing and it will be a nice b-grade gass crab. 

RB

DSCN1955.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Your son is right! It looks very good already :)

And I cant wait to see many more crabs you will prep in the future! This thread is a great idea :dinothumb:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

33 minutes ago, belemniten said:

And I cant wait to see many more crabs you will prep in the future! This thread is a great idea

It is a great idea and thanks.  Just wish I had thought of it sooner.  Also, Ive got a lot of ammo material from the Fox Hills still covering half the garage floor that I will be working on soon,  I think a 'RB's ammo thread' is next in line. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1

Aaaaalrighty then.  About 5 more hours into this thing and now I can call it quits.   Unfortunately, I did not find any other parts in the rock.  Just the way it goes sometimes.  One thing I took some extra time on was the god awful missing rock in the underneath back side of this concretion.  The better the crab became the more it bothered me....... So,  in about 5 minutes or less it disapeared!    For a One Clawer 4 Legger it came out purdy dang nice!!!  Its a gas crab for me,  but its always nice when my fossils that I dont want make me some gas moneys for the next trip.  Probably why im so rich!  Ha!!!  :)

RB

DSCN1959.JPG

DSCN1960.JPG

DSCN1961.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Hey, that's not bad. Nice job!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

4 days ago my son came over to help me cut some rock for all the Fox Hills stuff we brought home and I decided to do the same for some crab concretions.  Only made one 'boo boo' but luckily it was a very small boo boo.   I dont really like to cut concretions but this has saved me a heck of alot of hours of scribe work. Now all I need is some more time.   I was worried last summer that I wouldnt have enough projects to last the winter and now I dont see how I can get all the projects done!  Life!   Sure throws us some problems now and then! 

This pic is of the 5 we cut.  Lots more that I was too afraid to cut or didnt need any cutting. 

RB

DSCN1979.JPG

I love the one'-clawed, four-legger! :wub:

What a beautiful bit of prepping. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I grabbed one of the cut concretions from that box.  Once I was ready to start prepping I was hoping that I had read the concretion correctly.   I always 2nd guess myself.  The cut portion of the rock saved me 2 or 3 hours of prep time.  I worked on this rock for about 4 hours and it was a relief to hit carapace after the first 1 hour or so.  It does have a rear end and that makes this guy happy but a long ways to go.   There always seems to be a trade off when it comes to these crabs and im hoping that it turns out purty good in my favor.  Did a lot of work with the Super Jack and will have a very achy hand tomorrow. 

RB

BY002A.JPG

BY002B.JPG

BY002C.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Ok, about 6 1/2 more hours into this thing.  A lot of rock removal but lots more crab exsposed!   These bigger Washington concs do take more time but the thing is, one may end up with some tippy tippy's!  Gotta love those tippy tippy's!!!   There was a guy (my great great great great granpa)  waaaaay back in the 1800's that said:  "thars money in them thar tippy tippy's", but this one may be a keeper?   This rock looks like its one of those, "the more I work on it the better it gets',  kind of rock!!!   Been awhile since ive had a crab like this.  Cant wait till I can get out again and prep, but this guy needs his rest nowadays.

RB 

BY002E.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Wow great specimen again :ighappy: 

Wish you the best of luck on the further prep work!

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

18 hours ago, RJB said:

There was a guy (my great great great great granpa)  waaaaay back in the 1800's that said:  "thars money in them thar tippy tippy's",

My great great great uncle back in the 1800s said  "Thars money in selling liquor to them thar people in Montana." So, he did then brought the money back to Minnesota and expanded our family farm. Ultimately, he would have been more profitable keeping the saloon!

That's a nice looking crab already.

Oh Yeah, finally another lovely looking crab.  I'll bet everything is there after more of that matrix is removed.  Its SO NICE to get a great crab, they so seldom come along.  "I hate you"  ha ha

Great job as always Ron.

Optimism for this rock and crab and your work on it, but take it easy on yourself! I'm looking forward to more reveal :dinothumb:.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

On 1/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, Wolf89 said:

Looking good!

23 hours ago, belemniten said:

Wow great specimen again :ighappy: 

Wish you the best of luck on the further prep work!

23 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That's a nice looking crab already

19 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Its SO NICE to get a great crab, they so seldom come along.  "I hate you"  ha ha

Great job as always Ron.

19 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Optimism for this rock and crab and your work on it, but take it easy on yourself! I'm looking forward to more reveal

Thank you everyone. 

RB

Ive got another 4 1/2 hours into this thing.  Lots and lots of rock to remove, but now its starting to look a little bit cleaned up.  Ive still got some more rock to remove for shaping around the crab so the rock looks like it flows but the bad thing is,,,,  this is about the tuffest rock to smooth out when it comes to these Washington crabs.  Uuuuugh!   This is gunna be about a 10 to 12 hour job to finish up.   On the flip side, even though its got some problems like just about every crab ive ever prepped, its displayed very nicely in the rock and lookin purty darn good!!! 

RB

BY002F.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

20 minutes ago, RJB said:

its displayed very nicely in the rock and lookin purty darn good!!! 

Agree! I see tips!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs