RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

Hey Ron

After loo0king at a couple of my Meandricampus specimens, I'm more inclined to say it is a Meandricampus.  You should start to see the raised areas that lead to the lateral spine.  Ha ha me wrong.  Good luck.  They are a cool crab and really hard to come by and you already know that it has at least one claw.  Look forward to seeing that one complete.  Hopefully it has some legs.

20 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

After loo0king at a couple of my Meandricampus specimens, I'm more inclined to say it is a Meandricampus.  You should start to see the raised areas that lead to the lateral spine.  Ha ha me wrong.  Good luck.  They are a cool crab and really hard to come by and you already know that it has at least one claw.  Look forward to seeing that one complete.  Hopefully it has some legs.

Yeah, those Meandri's always seem to have leg problems and or claw problems.  Time will tell.   and now im into the lebonese fishes so it may be awhile before I get any more prep done on this specimen?

RB

I've seen this before it is a larger disarticulated Pulalius. you are just looking at more of the front of the crab. If that makes any sense.its hard for me to explain.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:12 AM, DLB said:

I've seen this before it is a larger disarticulated Pulalius. you are just looking at more of the front of the crab. If that makes any sense.its hard for me to explain.

It makes perfect sense.  thats the conclusion I came to the other day.  I tossed both those crabs aside and started prepping Lebanese fish. 

RB

• 10 months later...

I didn't know its been this long since ive posted here?!  Anyways, besides trying to get the house all buttoned down and ready for winter, I have done quite a bit of fossil prep but have not shown any.  If you were to walk into my prep garage you would see a bunch of Lebanese fossil fish all over the place and in differing stages of prep.  Yesterday my youngest son came over and brought with him his crab concretions that he had found the week before.  I marked all the ones I could read and made guesses of some that were a bit tuff to read or told him to just drill a hole with his scribe and dont take the chance of destroying the crab, and then there were the ones that are just too round to make any sense of.  Those ones he 'WHACKED'!!!  Besides the expected empty ones or some with just a piece of wood or clam, once in awhile it turns out ok or purty good.  This one here turned out purty good and ive decided to talk my son into letting me prep this one with a video.  

RB 

Hard to see in the photo, but some of the claws and a bit of leg are still in the top piece of rock.

CC001A.JPG.cdb7d5ea7a0c8c861175be977dcc7d6c.JPG

This is what is called a purty good break.  Here on the left you can see some crab bits left in the top piece of rock. 

CC001B.JPG.65626c45eb45d962da70126d90f44518.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

Happy to see the revival of this thread. It's always been a favorite of mine. Did I miss Coleton coming to my neck of the woods?  

• Thank You 1

@Fossilis Willis Hey Willis, Coleton went with one of his freinds who had a court date in northern Oregon.  He dropped him off and went to go hit some of my old crab haunts in that state and then they both went to Washington.  They did this in 3 days and had no time for anything else. 

RB

I love this photo.... Not sure that I had seen a newly WHACKED one..... Have you ever sold/kept both halves after prep ?

http://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_2021_10/CC001B.JPG.65626c45eb45d962da70126d90f44518.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 10/9/2021 at 3:54 PM, Shellseeker said:

Have you ever sold/kept both halves after prep ?

Yeah, used to sell a ton of them but they weren't these Washington crabs.  I used to hunt a place in oregon that had hundreds of little concretions that really, for me, were not very good crabs. 

RB

• 2 months later...

Heh. I loved how the ammonite decided to sneak its way into the frame. :D 

Seeing all those crabs under a tree would make a lot of fossil collectors beyond happy!

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

20 hours ago, Kane said:

Heh. I loved how the ammonite decided to sneak its way into the frame. :D 

Seeing all those crabs under a tree would make a lot of fossil collectors beyond happy!

19 hours ago, fossisle said:

A very Merry Christmas to Ron and his family!!

Thank you guys.  I have to say that that video was a ton of fun to make.  Got more videos a comin. 

RB

• Enjoyed 1

Yeah, I've turned green, very green again.  Very lovely crabbies, one and all.  Nice job, even if somewhat slower.  I certainly know what you mean.  Haven't been able to get out to crab heaven for the last two years and I'm in crab fossil withdrawal. Nice that your son got out there and brought back some booty.  Yeah hoo....I "hate" you.....ha ha.  What an amazing room of rocks.

Merry Christmas and Happyy

20 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Yeah, I've turned green, very green again.  Very lovely crabbies, one and all.  Nice job, even if somewhat slower.  I certainly know what you mean.  Haven't been able to get out to crab heaven for the last two years and I'm in crab fossil withdrawal. Nice that your son got out there and brought back some booty.  Yeah hoo....I "hate" you.....ha ha.  What an amazing room of rocks.

Thanks Steve.  These are all crabs from past preps.  Ive been too busy working on the house and putting in some video work for the last 3 months or so,,,, so havent done much prep lately.

RB

• 2 months later...

Working on this house since last spring has taken up most of my energy and fossil prep got mostly put aside.  But now that this one huge project is finished I will be prepping till next winter.   A few months ago I made a trade with a guy from New Zealand for this most beautiful and large crab concretion.  Ive already named it 'Mr knobby Crab'.   Mr Knobby is a Tumidocarcinus gigantius from the Canterbury Formation.  Miocene in age.  Very nice to be back preppin.

Here is where im digging a hole to find carapace and you can just see barely see it.  Two little white marks just below center and to the left.  I hit calcite and not carapace.  Got lucky on that one.  You can see on both side edges why I named this concretion, 'Mr Knobby Crab'. 

P3060121.thumb.JPG.9fcd4f0e9b2cd5a683260bbd60cbe86f.JPG

This is after 2 prep sessions, about 7 hours.  Very disapointing that I hit 2 of the legs showing!  Small hits but still.  

P3080136.thumb.JPG.21024061534aeaf31474ba2aa5a1882a.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

Working on this house since last spring has taken up most of my energy and fossil prep got mostly put aside.  But now that this one huge project is finished I will be prepping till next winter.   A few months ago I made a trade with a guy from New Zealand for this most beautiful and large crab concretion.  Ive already named it 'Mr knobby Crab'.   Mr Knobby is a Tumidocarcinus gigantius from the Canterbury Formation.  Miocene in age.  Very nice to be back preppin.

Here is where im digging a hole to find carapace and you can just see barely see it.  Two little white marks just below center and to the left.  I hit calcite and not carapace.  Got lucky on that one.  You can see on both side edges why I named this concretion, 'Mr Knobby Crab'. 

P3060121.thumb.JPG.9fcd4f0e9b2cd5a683260bbd60cbe86f.JPG

This is after 2 prep sessions, about 7 hours.  Very disapointing that I hit 2 of the legs showing!  Small hits but still.  

P3080136.thumb.JPG.21024061534aeaf31474ba2aa5a1882a.JPG

Looking good! :popcorn: I am glad to hear that you will be able to prep more.

• Thank You 1

4 more hours of prep and finding that this crab has some nightmare areas!   Some places sooooooooo sticky that I have to use the side of the stylus and literally wear off the rock down to the shell.  This crab is going to take some serious hours to complete.  On a good note, I'm back in the garage and preppin.  Woooooooop  woooooooop!!

RB

P3090140.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

Boy O Boy!  This crab I should have named Mr. Nightmare Crab!   Im also very worried about the rear end?   If not for making a video of this crab I would toss it aside and start another.   Still fun to be back preppin again but an easier crab would have been nice?  I will just do the best I can.  Im not too bad at 'Clean Up'.

RB

P3120142.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

22 hours ago, RJB said:

Boy O Boy!  This crab I should have named Mr. Nightmare Crab!   Im also very worried about the rear end?   If not for making a video of this crab I would toss it aside and start another.   Still fun to be back preppin again but an easier crab would have been nice?  I will just do the best I can.  Im not too bad at 'Clean Up'.

RB

P3120142.JPG

Looking very nice! That crab does not look very easy to prep. :b_wdremel:

That looks like a real sticky pain in the rear where at times it likely feels more like grinding than scribing! But, in the end, it will likely be a top notch piece like your other ones... even if it takes a lot more time and frustration.

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer