RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

On the flip side, even though its got some problems like just about every crab ive ever prepped, its displayed very nicely in the rock and lookin purty darn good!!!

You said it, Ron! Keep up the good work!

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ynot said:

Hey @RJB, looking good.

Anymore progress?

Yeah, lots more progress but not on this crab.  Been doing some work on the house when I have my good days.  its gunna be a few more days at least till I can get back to this crab.

RB

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Yeah, lots more progress but not on this crab.  Been doing some work on the house when I have my good days.  its gunna be a few more days at least till I can get back to this crab.

RB

Take Your time.... I got plenty pop corn.

Image result for pop corn

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy doing all kinds of other stuff but finally got around to finishing this up.  I have posted the last photo of this thing along with the finished pic for easier comparison.

RB

BY002F.JPG

BY002G.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

• 2 weeks later...

For christmas my youngest son got me two concretions from New Zealand.  I was truly surprized!!!   Anyway, what he doesnt know is that one of them will make it back to him once I finish up the prep.  Here is about 4 hours of rock removal with a long ways to go but at least I now have 'carapace'!!!   Bad thing is.... its absolutely covered in thick calcite!   A real nightmare!!!  Good thing is,,,,, I know just what to do with it.   This is Tumidocarcinus gigantius.

RB

DSCN2084.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

6 minutes ago, RJB said:

For christmas my youngest son got me two concretions from New Zealand.  I was truly surprized!!!   Anyway, what he doesnt know is that one of them will make it back to him once I finish up the prep.  Here is about 4 hours of rock removal with a long ways to go but at least I now have 'carapace'!!!   Bad thing is.... its absolutely covered in thick calcite!   A real nightmare!!!  Good thing is,,,,, I know just what to do with it.   This is Tumidocarcinus gigantius.

I nice son and a nicer father. I can't wait to see more of this.

@RJBjust a queston I have one of these concretions that I am going to have a go at prepping In the future, what tools should I use and do you use any consolidant or anything thanks:)

14 hours ago, will stevenson said:

just a queston I have one of these concretions that I am going to have a go at prepping In the future, what tools should I use and do you use any consolidant or anything thanks:)

Hey Will, right now all i have used is my Super Jack.  You can use the smaller EM9100 or equivlent but that would take 3 times longer.   Also, at this point I have used no glues of any kind.    That may change once I get deeper in the rock.

RB

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey Will, right now all i have used is my Super Jack.  You can use the smaller EM9100 or equivlent but that would take 3 times longer.   Also, at this point I have used no glues of any kind.    That may change once I get deeper in the rock.

RB

All I have is a dremel and pins I have tried but I took me like 10mins to get around 0.2 com down in a very small spot so is this normal or should I leave it unproved as it looks alright as it is thanks:)( I bought it half prepped)

C499FB1B-A250-4017-8EA7-115CF942E7C2.jpeg

28 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

All I have is a dremel and pins I have tried but I took me like 10mins to get around 0.2 com down in a very small spot so is this normal or should I leave it unproved as it looks alright as it is thanks:)( I bought it half prepped)

These concretions are really hard so I would expect hand prepping to take forever.

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

These concretions are really hard so I would expect hand prepping to take forever.

Even with a dremel?

14 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Even with a dremel?

Ive heard of folks using dremels for prep but really not the right tool for this kind of prep job.  Good luck though.

RB

16 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

They take a long time with professional grade pneumatic scribes. These bring a whole new meaning to long prep time.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive heard of folks using dremels for prep but really not the right tool for this kind of prep job.  Good luck though.

RB

Oh ok I will try my best:) 

My youngest son came over yesterday cause too cold to work.   I turned on the heaters in my garage first thing so about 2 1/2 hours later it was quite comfortable when we entered.  We went through lots of crab material that has been laying around for quite some time.   I ran across this beautiful and quite large Pulalius crab carapace and said to him, "I think someone on the fossil forum may want this?"   My son was then saying how cool it was even though only a carapace.  Believe me, this is a very large and perfect carapace.  I picked it up and said, "Take it.  Its yours.  Merry Christmas".    We also went through a bunch of my B-Grade concretions and he went home later that day with some rather nice crab concretions.   He does so much for me its really the least I can do for him. 

RB

20190209_122402.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Well, I posted a prep pic on Feb/6th when I found/ran into the crapace of a NZ concretion that I got from my son,  and then did a bunch more work on it.  My camera broke and took a picture with my smart phone thingy?  I could not figure out how to transfer that picture to my computer.  Ive now done a bunch more work, twice now, on this same crab from NZ and still cant figure out how to transfer a dang photo.  I did purchase a new camera but am waiting for delivery.  I think buy the time the camera gets here and figure out how to use it this crab may be done?   Always somethiing. 

RB

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

My camera broke and took a picture with my smart phone thingy?  I could not figure out how to transfer that picture to my computer.  

How about email the pics to yourself & open the email on your computer? Not sure it would work as I don't even have a cell phone, let alone a smart phone. :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 minute ago, daves64 said:

How about email the pics to yourself & open the email on your computer?

Ive never done that.  Not a clue how to do that?   My wife got me a smart phone a few months ago and I can only do the basics.  and even that took me some real learnin!!!

RB

13 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive never done that.  Not a clue how to do that?   My wife got me a smart phone a few months ago and I can only do the basics.  and even that took me some real learnin!!!

RB

What kind of phone is it? I guarantee there are people here who can give you a lesson on any kind of smartphone. Emailing pictures from your phone is really easy, as soon as someone shows you how.