RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

My youngest son came over yesterday while i was working in the garage.  He took a picture of this crab I was workiing on and posted it on facebook.   I am still waiting for my new camera to arrive so I copied and pasted this picture to here on the TFF

RB

OK, out in the garage today.  Ive got a long ways to go but this crab is starting to  look like a crab.  Gots lots of problems, but have had lots worse.  Absolutely hate the calcite!!!!!!!!!

RB

100_0001.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, besides all the dang problems, bad legs on the right side, some damage from mother nature above the rear end, and of course the worst of all,,,,,, some very very sticky calcite!  A freakin nightmare!!!   There is nothing pristeen about this crab, but all in all it turned out purty darn good.  Took maybe around 45 hours or so and I really dont mind giving it back to my son.  He does lots for mom and I.   

RB

This is prep from a few days ago.  You can see how ive started the 'rock smoothing'. 

100_0006.JPG.b1d89a227d083f55d8be6f17c60c145d.JPG

and finally finished.   Not bad for a b-grade crab. 

100_0008.thumb.JPG.409934b732346a108f499dcda3719a06.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

• 1 month later...

.  I have been busy doing other things lately.   Slowly getting things on the house done and that makes momma happy.   I finally got around to working on some more crabs.  I decided to take 5 concretons and get as many carapaces as I could find.  #1 and #3 are duds!  It happens but it always hurts. #5 is one I had cut to save lots of time and glued back on the piece that I need.  You can just see the beginings of carapace on the other 3.  Lots of rock removal still to do but its always nice to know that im working on crabs and not just bare rock. 

RB

100_0002.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Well crud.  These things are dropping like fly's!!  #2 crab will be tossed to the side.  Too many problems for this guy.  Crab #4 also looks to have problems.  I will put in a short amount of prep to find out but it looks like it will also be tossed aside?   #5 is not lookin too bad but I dought very much it will make it past B-Grade.  Could still be a very nice B-Grade?  But all this goes to show folks just how hard and exspensive this hobby can be.  I paid $45 per conc.  With this set of 5 and only 1 working out, you do the math.  and dont forget all the time wasted but thats how this game is played.  Here is an update photo.  :)

RB

100_0004.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

@RJB, look on the bright side, you have a 20% success rate with this batch of concretions. That’s not much worse than the MLB batting average. :P

Throw some of the trash crabs into a box and I’ll bring you a trade fresh from my forge this summer. B) That will get the value of your purchase way up.

10 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Throw some of the trash crabs into a box and I’ll bring you a trade fresh from my forge this summer. B) That will get the value of your purchase way up.

I was already thinkn of throwing these and another one into your box.  You remember the famous quote about a guy on a boat hunting for a particular shark?  Well, picture you standing in my garage and seeing all the stuff going into your box, and then you say,,,,,,,"we're gunna need a bigger box".    Ha!!!  

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

I was already thinkn of throwing these and another one into your box.  You remember the famous quote about a guy on a boat hunting for a particular shark?  Well, picture you standing in my garage and seeing all the stuff going into your box, and then you say,,,,,,,"we're gunna need a bigger box".    Ha!!!  

RB

:default_rofl: I’m gunna need a bigger trailer! 

I have ave the perfect blade design picked out already. All I lack is the 50 or so hours needed to make it. :P Too many projects and not enough time. 

Aaaalrighty then.  I put in about 4 more hours into crab #5, the crab on the far right and even though its got problems like almost all crab fossils its turning into one of those that the more you prep the better it gets!  Got 4 tippy tippy's so far!  Bad thing is, the front legs are missing the tips!   Dang!!!  Thats putting it nicely.  Cant cuss on the forum but there was a cuss word or two in the garage today.  And still hoping to find the very front legs?   Lots more to do but by golly, this one is gettin there!  

RB

100_0037.JPG

13 minutes ago, RJB said:

Aaaalrighty then.  I put in about 4 more hours into crab #5, the crab on the far right and even though its got problems like almost all crab fossils its turning into one of those that the more you prep the better it gets!  Got 4 tippy tippy's so far!  Bad thing is, the front legs are missing the tips!   Dang!!!  Thats putting it nicely.  Cant cuss on the forum but there was a cuss word or two in the garage today.  And still hoping to find the very front legs?   Lots more to do but by golly, this one is gettin there!  

RB

Looking good so far!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Here is another crab i started awhile ago but had problems with my camera.  Had to buy a new one and learn how to use the dang thing.  Anyways, this is Meandricampus triangulum.  Not a crab I'm used to but turning out better than most of the ones ive done in the past.  Gots to be careful of these cause of all the front spines.  May be called Anterolateral Teeth?  This one is only 2 or 3 hours from being done, just need the time. 

RB

100_0039.JPG

35 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Now that Meandricampus an interesting looking critter. Where is it from?

Not sure if I even spelled it right, but this concretion is also from the Lincoln Creek Formation in the state of Washington and eocene in age. 

RB

Hi RB, i liked you thread on the crab, i have a small dinousaur claw that i dropped and broke the tip off of, I have never worked on a fossil before and wondered if you know what glue to use where to buy it and any tips you may have for glueing the tip back on.

regards

Lee2

17 hours ago, lee2 said:

Hi RB, i liked you thread on the crab, i have a small dinousaur claw that i dropped and broke the tip off of, I have never worked on a fossil before and wondered if you know what glue to use where to buy it and any tips you may have for glueing the tip back on.

Maybe a tiny drop of the thicker viscosity super glue?  Cyanoacrylate.  (spelling?)

RB

Hmmm. 

I'd somehow fallen behind with this thread, but all caught up now!

Lovely crabs, I agree with some of the others, these 'B' Grade critters are absolutely 'A' Grade in most people's books. 

Fascinating stuff. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png