Rowboater

Howling wind and deep ice cold water, but figured the creek bed would protect me from the wind (it did) and cold (not so much). Less hunters out.  Don't usually post casts/steinkerns but this gastropod(?) has two small fossilized worm like things on it (probably need to get a better photo than the scan).  All the rain has washed shells everywhere (lots of 5" to 7" scallops/ pectans everywhere; didn't see any whole ecphora, the only shells I usually pick up.  Frilly oysters were everywhere as well; top half is neat).  Most of the teeth I found was small or broken or both; three cow shark, one decent with root.  Four(?) angelshark and several others, lots of spikes most missing their cusps, small triangular most with faint serrations, and a bunch of glossy drum teeth (photo is of the other side). Broken verts. When other stuff dries, may find something else interesting.  

112918.thumb.jpg.4dd6fbb65b8e9f92596773adf041b1de.jpg

The photo is so washed out, ... I took the liberty of changing the contrast for you. 

These are beautiful teeth! 

Thanks for your reports. I enjoy seeing your finds. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

The photo is so washed out, ... I took the liberty of changing the contrast for you. 

Tim to the rescue! Ahhhhhhhh, much better!:dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Rowboater said:

(probably need to get a better photo than the scan).

For that gastropod, yes.

Seriously great bunch of teeth!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

10 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Tim to the rescue! Ahhhhhhhh, much better!:dinothumb:

8 hours ago, Innocentx said:

For that gastropod, yes.

Seriously great bunch of teeth!

Thanks for the help everyone.  Here's a few attempts at the "worms" in the middle (magic help with images always appreciated!)

IMG-20181128-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181128-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20181128-WA0002.jpg

Flipped over some of the stuff (when things dry, only some teeth are glossy).  There's always interesting little stuff that is difficult to ID.

112918-1.jpg.f8b803b567b9fb7d2cf9f77b118dba1d.jpg

This creek, which is on land which occasionally changes ownership with varying degrees of 'toleration', has been tooth hunted for over 50 years.  Used to be common (30 years ago) to walk along the creek bed and see five to ten teeth laying around; sitting in the sand and just looking around you would yield lots of small teeth (like most good hunting beaches).  The kids had no interest in much of anything but teeth and big vertebrae (a few tree stump sized set around for years).  There are less kids hunting today (computer games) and many fewer obsessed people (mostly in search of megalodon teeth elsewhere; I've never found one of this creek).  So hunting usually involves finding a likely spot, picking the bigger shells, sticks and leaves out of the way, and shoveling sand and gravel into a sieve (I use a plastic collander, most kids use screens) then washing in the creek water to remove the sand.  Occasionally you'll find a "new" spot where shells are washing out into the creek; of course the creek bed changes with heavy rains and a "new" spot may have been heavily hunted 30 years ago and devoid of big teeth.  I have a few favorite spots where I find cowshark teeth (rarely intact however); I'm always amazed how variable and non-uniform the teeth are from spots 50 feet apart.  I am try to develop some interest in  fossil shells; except for 8" scallops (that their parents used for ashtrays) the kids are generally oblivious to the shells (although I've noted them jumping around on them for the crunch.)   

11 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thanks Tim for the help making them much more visible!  I appreciate it, I'm not very good at displaying them! 

3 minutes ago, Rowboater said:

Thanks Tim for the help making them much more visible!  I appreciate it, I'm not very good at displaying them! 

Happy to help. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I guess the "worms" with the gastropod cast are actually two small burrows from something that tunneled out of the gastropod shell and these burrows became fossilized as well.

Your gastropod may be a broken off apex of a turritella. It may have a worm tube cemented onto it.

You beat me by seconds with your above post. :D

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I'm always amazed at the number of cow shark teeth you find! I have just two for all my years of hunting. I just don't seem to find them!

You found some fantastic teeth!

19 hours ago, Littlefoot said:

I'm always amazed at the number of cow shark teeth you find! I have just two for all my years of hunting. I just don't seem to find them!

You found some fantastic teeth!

It's weird, there are only a few spots on the creek where I find cow shark teeth (my favorite!)  Don't know why, but the other places don't hold them (maybe 100,000s of years different?)  Very rare to find an intact tooth, or even one with a root.  And only one symphyseal tooth so far. 

Most of my teeth from the creek are sand tiger spikes, with relatively lots of angel shark and drum teeth (not found on beach);  tiger shark teeth are rare as are mako, and megalodon are absent.  The beaches yield bigger, more varied teeth, but generally much more weathered.

Nice finds hard to believe those cow shark teeth are even holding together 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Archived