Fossil-Hound

For your viewing pleasure I present one hundred cleaned and placed shark, pinniped, Cetacean, and ray teeth from Bakersfield. Tomorrow I’ll glue them to the back board with epoxy and have a label created at the very bottom. FYI @digit @Malcolmt @caldigger @Kurt Komoda @SailingAlongToo @WhodamanHD

AF8B533E-67E9-443C-8BDD-6562327605C3.jpeg

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

To each his own, but epoxy is pretty permanent. Do you not think something removable may be more in order?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

2 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

To each his own, but epoxy is pretty permanent. Do you not think something removable may be more in order?

I've found that anything less than that tends not to stick to the board. The epoxy I use is clear and blends in well with the black background. Should look nice. :fingerscrossed:

4 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

I've found that anything less than that tends not to stick to the board. The epoxy I use is clear and blends in well with the black background. Should look nice. :fingerscrossed:

How about using clear silicone caulk. At least you can cut it away and dissolve it with mineral spirits if you need to reposition something.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

How about using clear silicone caulk. At least you can cut it away and dissolve it with mineral spirits if you need to reposition something.

Ok I'll look into that.

Also, your shark teeth are very durable and should outlast several mounting boards. Using a permanent adhesive will not allow them to be remounted if the board is damaged by water, bugs, heat chemicals etc. Remember the Hippocratic Oath for fossils: do no harm.

Others might suggest even better adhesives to mount them. 

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

12 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Also, your shark teeth are very durable and should outlast several mounting boards. Using a permanent adhesive will not allow them to be remounted if the board is damaged by water, bugs, heat chemicals etc. Remember the Hippocratic Oath for fossils: do no harm.

Others might suggest even better adhesives to mount them. 

A link to the recommended caulk would be a lot more helpful then reciting the Hippocratic Oath.

Try 100% silicone clear caulk from a hardware store. I have used it to stick items together that eventually could be separated. I have not used it on fossils yet.

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

Try 100% silicone clear caulk from a hardware store. I have used it to stick items together that eventually could be separated. I have not used it on fossils yet.

Like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silicone-2-10-1-oz-Clear-Kitchen-and-Bath-Caulk-GE5040-12C/100663319

Just a suggestion to throw out there.

If you do "glue" these to a board, only get the adhesive on the enamel/blade portion. I will guarantee the roots will break if you try to remove the teeth later down the line. It will be much easier to dissolve the adhesive also if it is just on the enamel.

My father adhered fossils and artifacts ( clay figurines to fabric covered backboards like you are suggesting (sorry, but it makes me cringe!), luckily he utilized hot melt glue which you can peel off if real careful when you want to remove it.

I say the best type of glue to use is Elmer’s Glue. I still use it on occasion to glue Mazon Creek fossils to cardboard pieces for display or storage. If you need to remove the you just soak in earl water. I have some extremely large pieces glued to larger pieces of cardboard and they will not fall off, but by soaking they come off with not damage. 

White glues such as Elmer’s do not dissolve in water when fully cured. It might be able to be peeled off with possible damage to teeth.

Maybe you could try modelers clay. Sticky enough to adhere to just about anything but you can remove when ever you want

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

32 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Maybe you could try modelers clay. Sticky enough to adhere to just about anything but you can remove when ever you want

I use museum putty which I assume is similar

35 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

I use museum putty which I assume is similar

I do believe so. I don't use it myself but I have friends who use it for fossils and minerals.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Unfortunately, the putty and clays wont hold onto the fabric he is wanting to use. Nor would I trust it to securely hold an object that is being hung.

They might be OK for something being set down on them on a flat horizontal surface, but for adhering an item to a vertical board where gravity is pulling on it, no.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, caldigger said:

My father adhered fossils and artifacts ( clay figurines to fabric covered backboards like you are suggesting (sorry, but it makes me cringe!), luckily he utilized hot melt glue which you can peel off if real careful when you want to remove it.

Another vote here for hot-melt glue.  You can select from various formulations of glue sticks at your local big-box craft store.  Hot-melt glue is (relatively) easy to remove from the enameloid with a common hair-dryer.   

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived