Santa Fe River (Florida) Echinoid ID request

Sacha

I've received papers recommended by forum members and I'm looking to identify or verify the ID's for a number of pieces still confusing me.

In the Santa Fe river, while sifting limestone rubble, we find numerous examples of what previous posts on TFF identify as Rhyncholampas goldii (or the molds thereof) an Oligocene sea biscuit from the Suwannee Limestone. On much less frequent occasions we come across the molds of the sea urchin in the photo below. I'm having difficulty determining whether these are Gagaria mossomi or Phymotaxis mansfieldi. I'm leaning toward P mansfieldi, because the the regularity of the test. Can anyone help?

IMG_0129.thumb.jpg.a8eff6ce81314a0e4c1f774f88f5a79a.jpg

Theyre interesting thats for sure. Something about them looks familiar but I can't place it at the moment

As an update to this thread, I contacted Roger Portal of the Univ. of FL. His comments are as follows:

Some are hard to distinguish but my vote is also Phymotaxis mansfieldi..  If you collect some extra specimens with good locality data, please donate a few.

I'll be sending him the majority of my specimens this week.

Hey John, interesting finds. Complete specimens from both genera from Vulcan Brooksville still have alluded me--darn it.  Hoping to get back there and renew that quest but it just hasnt happened! Congrats on finding some more neat echyss and more stuff worthy of donating. 

Regards, Chris 

Congrats on the (future) donation!

What are those red spots on some of the fossils? Almost looks like blood :headscratch:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

5 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Congrats on the (future) donation!

What are those red spots on some of the fossils? Almost looks like blood :headscratch:

Max, I mix my fossils from the PeaceRiver and the Santa Fe together so I mark the Santa Fe fossils with a dot of red polish. Peace River fossils don't get a mark. Fossils from other locations (mostly Echinoids) are stored in separate containers.

20 hours ago, Sacha said:

Max, I mix my fossils from the PeaceRiver and the Santa Fe together so I mark the Santa Fe fossils with a dot of red polish. Peace River fossils don't get a mark. Fossils from other locations (mostly Echinoids) are stored in separate containers.

Ah ok. I suppose then that the Ocala Limestone also occurs in the Peace River? I didn't know that. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

Ah ok. I suppose then that the Ocala Limestone also occurs in the Peace River? I didn't know that. 

No, it just means that in my box of invertebrates, the one's from the Santa Fe are marked with a red dot.

In my box of horse teeth the one's from the Santa Fe are marked with a red dot.

In my Llama box the teeth from the Santa Fe are marked with a red dot.

Etc.

6 minutes ago, Sacha said:

No, it just means that in my box of invertebrates, the one's from the Santa Fe are marked with a red dot.

In my box of horse teeth the one's from the Santa Fe are marked with a red dot.

In my Llama box the teeth from the Santa Fe are marked with a red dot.

Etc.

Oh ok I understand now 

Max Derème

Archived