Peace River (Florida) echinoid ID

Sacha

The latest update from UF now that they have the specimens in hand.

The Oligocene specimens were what we suspected but the sand dollars are E. tamiamiensis. However, they are a bit atypical for the species given the very thin test.  Based on the curved anterior petals rather than straight petals, size, and depth of the invaginations, they are E. tamiamiensis.  

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 years later...

Keyhole sand dollasr Echinodiscus sp.  
     #1 arrow head type.
Fossil sand dollar Encope tamiamiensis (Mansfield, 1932) 3 cm "extinct" from the upper
 Pliocene  (5.4-2.4 million years ago)   Tamiami Fm. of Charlotte County, Florida.

This is a exquisitely preserved fossil "sand dollar" of the species Encope tamiamiensis. and  dates to the late Miocene through Pliocene periods.

#2 Encope micropora? 2.8 cm  

They come from a garage sale jar of seashells.

20210830_122924.jpg

20210830_123005.jpg

20210830_123037.jpg

20210830_123059.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Bob Saunders said:

Keyhole sand dollasr Echinodiscus sp.  
     #1 arrow head type.
Fossil sand dollar Encope tamiamiensis (Mansfield, 1932) 3 cm "extinct" from the upper
 Pliocene  (5.4-2.4 million years ago)   Tamiami Fm. of Charlotte County, Florida.

This is a exquisitely preserved fossil "sand dollar" of the species Encope tamiamiensis. and  dates to the late Miocene through Pliocene periods.

#2 Encope micropora? 2.8 cm  

They come from a garage sale jar of seashells.

These look like modern Encope and Mellita sand dollars. I'm guessing they are Mellita isometra and Encope michelini. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, Al Dente said:

These look like modern Encope and Mellita sand dollars. I'm guessing they are Mellita isometra and Encope michelini. 

Thanks and I added to my notes. How do you tell the modern from a fossil ones?  

Hi,

I think the two last pictures are current because they still have bristles (very fine needles) present in the holes/lunules.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

28 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

Thanks and I added to my notes. How do you tell the modern from a fossil ones?  

25 minutes ago, Coco said:

I think the two last pictures are current because they still have bristles (very fine needles) present in the holes/lunules.

I agree with Coco. The tiny spines are still attached. Usually these drop off within a short time after the sand dollar dies.

A4EEB5FA-8B91-4653-B248-AFE20A1A1C81.jpeg

Thanks for the word, The third one is so dry it is now three pieces. I may affix it to a thin card with white glue or just leave it. Other than a shallow tight covered holder for each is their a way to preserve them?