Feather like fossil

VRFossils

This is a fossil that a friend gave me.  I have no idea where it originated, although CO or NE could be a good guess.  Any idea what it is?

It is very fine.  It looks to me like a feather, but under the microscope it doesn't have any of the features of a feather.  The fibers are just straight and very thin.

The pictures are of the two opposing sides, which fit together.

20180913_193715.jpg

20180913_193721.jpg

20180913_193956.jpg

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like plant fibers to Me. Maybe from a palm(?).

Would really help if the age was known.

34.07 mya. Preservation, and preparation are a match for the Florissant beds in CO.

Likely they are plant fibers, but hair would be a fantastic find.

Looks similar to some feathers from the Green River Formation. 

20180913_193721.jpg.430a72962a332866715f72b60d5b4934.jpg

eocene-fossil-feathers.jpg   green-river-fossil-feather.jpg

Bottom photos from HERE, and HERE.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I still think the shade and  the contrast between the fossil and the matrix looks more like Florissant.

The fact that it looks like it has an acrylic (?) coating fits too. It's what is suggested to preserve the specimens. 

It is a down feather, most likely from the Eocene Green River Formation.
Down feathers underlay the contour feathers that cover the body of the bird, and are sometimes loosed during preening. Some birds have specialized "powder down" feathers that disintegrate into a powder when preening, and are used to de-oil and clean the rest of the plumage; an avian version of 'powdering its wig'.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, it does look like the feathers from the Green River Formation!  I wonder what they look like at a microscopic level.  Mine doesn't have any barbs or anything.

23 minutes ago, VRFossils said:

Mine doesn't have any barbs or anything

Yes, down feathers are barbless.
Barbs are the 'zipper' that holds the barbules together on flight and contour feathers, for form.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks as if the break in the plate just missed the actual fossil so the entire thing is on the one side. However, it does center your field of focus with the two sides connected.

Nifty piece!

Hey folks, don't be so quick to identify the formation just from color and texture. I have a down feather from the Creede Formation of Colorado that could also be a match. Those lake and caldera deposits can all be very similar looking but will vary in age Certainly all are possibilities but a solid location ID needs more.

Archived