New but very old display cabinets

Fossil Claw

I've been wanting to get cabinets to replace my open shelves for a long time because I'm sick of dusting.

I went to look at two curio cabinets that were a good deal on Craigslist Saturday and they weren't as good of shape as they looked and they reek of smoke.

Obviously I didn't buy them.

Well I am very happy that the other purchase of two cabinets did not work out.

I got steal of a deal on these two 1800s cabinets instead. I also got a great deal on the third cabinet but I don't have pictures of it yet.  One was from a private seller that just wanted to get rid of it the other two are from an antique store that is closing and just trying to get rid of its merchandise.  Way better than the particle board shelves with glass doors I looked at Ikea last week.  Way better deal to. Once again patience paid off. 

Someone put a copper panel in the one replacing the glass. I'm going to take the copper panel out and put glass back in.

I will post pictures once I get them set up with my fossil and and the lights.

Yahoo goodbye to dusting hundreds of fossils one by one!

Screenshot_20181127-125836~2.png

01313_5la5rv9d3Ek_1200x900.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Right on Dom!!!  I love older wood cabinetry. Yes, please show us when you get these beauties up and running.

:dinothumb:

This reminds me, I have to clear a space for my corner cabinet. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Those are impressive, lovely, useful acquisitions. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I've been thinking the same as you about all my fossils sitting in the open, gathering dust (and spiders!)   :angry:

Must get something like you've got!

This Is a topic that got my attention, I love those ancient cabinets.

It reminds me of those Cabinet of curiosities :)

Now next to it an old bookcase with those ancient paleontoligcal manuscripts and a few lithografies on the wal :D

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I've been thinking the same as you about all my fossils sitting in the open, gathering dust (and spiders!)   :angry:

Must get something like you've got!

Just be patient and wait for the right deal otherwise you willp payway more than you have to.

I patiently watch them look for at least a year before I found the right ones at a price i was willing to pay.

We bought one like the top photo for my wife to put her various blown glass pieces in for the same reason.  The previous owner had installed a small light in the top and it really makes it display even better... until the bulb blew.  It is one of my favorite pieces of furniture along with her grandmother's wooden corner cabinet.  

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Very nice Dom.   I need a couple more of those myself.

RB

A couple?!!!  You could likely use a couple dozen!

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I love those cabinets! I have a couple of old wood cabinets for my fossils as well, I like the “curiosities” look.

4 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Looks like a great quality display case. Mines a cheap one.

Most of mine were also until I found the great deals.

Great and very fitting for a fossil collection. I wish we had room for a cabinet in our small house but we don’t sadly. If I remember right you have a nice dinosaur material collection, they will look stunning in that cabinet and anything else you display too. Lighting is also a great idea and not hard to obtain. I hope you update us with the finish cabinet.  

It reminds me I'm pretty sure I forgot to post pictures of the display cabinet I picked up on a good deal last winter.

IMG_20181130_143954-1214x1619.thumb.jpg.dc9cd62673ebfada84fe77633396ffcc.jpg

IMG_20181130_144005-1619x1214.jpg

IMG_20181130_144016-1619x1214.jpg

IMG_20181130_144019-1619x1214.jpg

IMG_20181130_144010-1619x1214.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

12 hours ago, Fossil Claw said:

Just be patient and wait for the right deal otherwise you willp payway more than you have to.

I patiently watch them look for at least a year before I found the right ones at a price i was willing to pay.

I know... I've been waiting a long time. I guess I need to actually go out and look in 2nd hand stores otherwise nothing will happen :headscratch:  but that could put a lot of miles on the car before I actually find something. The suitable items are maddeningly uncommon! Just like the shallow-drawer units for storage of smaller fossils, which I've had to build more than I've ever bought.

11 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I know... I've been waiting a long time. I guess I need to actually go out and look in 2nd hand stores otherwise nothing will happen :headscratch:  but that could put a lot of miles on the car before I actually find something. The suitable items are maddeningly uncommon! Just like the shallow-drawer units for storage of smaller fossils, which I've had to build more than I look ever bought.

I have had more success on Craigslist and facebook marketplace. Put in saved searches with notification.

Then wait.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

The suitable items are maddeningly uncommon! Just like the shallow-drawer units for storage of smaller fossils, which I've had to build more than I've ever bought.

Keep an eye out for flat file storage cabinets used for blueprints.  I should have bought 1 or 2 when my company purged it's excess furniture.

I know about craigslist, but haven't figured out the saved search like I have with online. One problem is what term do you use in the search? Most of the map cabinets I've looked at seem overly broad and too flimsy to hold a lot of rock weight. 'Flat file' and 'printer's cabinet' might work but I hardly ever find anything under those names when I do a search, and I doubt that most people would have any idea what they're called - even the lister might use some completely different term.

I once looked at CL and found a perfect unit listed, but it was already snapped up when I inquired! (and it was on the Mainland so would have been problematic to get)  I did find this unit thru CL but it cost $100 and took a fair bit of refurbishment, but I love it. I haven't decided whether it needs a coat of something like Varathane or is fine as is (it's only got wood stain so far):

NewCabinet.jpg

47 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I know about craigslist, but haven't figured out the saved search like I have with online. One problem is what term do you use in the search? Most of the map cabinets I've looked at seem overly broad and too flimsy to hold a lot of rock weight. 'Flat file' and 'printer's cabinet' might work but I hardly ever find anything under those names when I do a search, and I doubt that most people would have any idea what they're called - even the lister might use some completely different term.

I once looked at CL and found a perfect unit listed, but it was already snapped up when I inquired! (and it was on the Mainland so would have been problematic to get)  I did find this unit thru CL but it cost $100 and took a fair bit of refurbishment, but I love it. I haven't decided whether it needs a coat of something like Varathane or is fine as is (it's only got wood stain so far):

NewCabinet.jpg

That's where the patience comes in my friend.

I kept an eye out for a year for the right item it just happened that I found three in the same week.

Patience, I know about it. Life has more or less beaten it into me.

I think they're out there if you know where to look. Knowing where, when, the proper names, etc, could reduce the waiting time.

11 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I haven't decided whether it needs a coat of something like Varathane or is fine as is (it's only got wood stain so far):

All depends on the amount of moisture in your air. The wood will swell and contract with the seasons, so during wet Winter months it may have "sticky" drawers.

I had a problem with mine in that the drawers are so wide (47" across) and the base was made of Masonite ( only made to hold architectural drawings), they would bow down with the weight and rub on the lower drawer. I had to put in center partitions to hold up the middles.

Eric, I would say you still got a good deal at $100, even for a beat up unit. You did a great job on the referbishment.

Dorensigbadges.JPG