fossil Wood, stromatholite or Coral? 14 pieces....

Bourdeix

Dear member, 

Bougth from an Indian seller who describe it as fossil wood jasper... But I am not sure, see the almost hexagonal structure... could you help? thanks

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

s-l1600 (12).jpg

s-l1600 (13).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to TFF!
First of all, these are beautifull items!

My gut feeling is, that this is an altered pyroxene-rock (Pyroxenite) or an altered olivine-rock (Dunite). The almost hexogonal outlines could be the former grain boundaries of the individual pyroxene grains. And these pyroxenes seem now to be replaced by various other minerals (e.g. talc, serpentine minerals, amphiboles etc.) in a concentric fashion.

You could try a few tests:

- Does it bubble with vingar?

- Are you able to scratch it with fingernail, copper, knife blade, a piece of quartz?

Franz Bernhard

Hello, I am not at home and the stones are not still arrived (I bougth them online). please note that their size is about 32 x 25 mm in average, so the online pictures altered pyroxene-rock (Pyroxenite) or an altered olivine-rock (Dunite) shows generally smaller grains.  In fact it gives a little impression of fruit, with a pulp, a shell and an almond inside the shell, which would be compressed in a regime against each other ... like for instance oil palm bunches or pandanus sp fruits....

téléchargement (2).jpg

Palm-Fruit-Overview.png

images (1).jpg

1 hour ago, Bourdeix said:

the online pictures altered pyroxene-rock (Pyroxenite) or an altered olivine-rock (Dunite) shows generally smaller grains.

Thats true, but especially pyroxenites can have also very large grain sizes with up dm (10 cm) large individual grains.

1 hour ago, Bourdeix said:

In fact it gives a little impression of fruit, with a pulp, a shell and an almond inside the shell, which would be compressed in a regime against each other

Interesting thought, but I don´t think that this is what you have here. Just lets wait until you have them in your hands!
Franz Bernhard

Very beautiful pieces! :)

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. 

I think it may be tumbled and polished pieces of fossil coral, something along the lines of Hexagonaria. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Raptoria said:

Maybe it's a petoskey stone, a subspecies of Hexagonaria.

"Petoskey stone" is a colloquial term for a fossil coral that has been tumbled, it is not the name of a subspecies.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

They doesn't look right to me to be corals. I'm in the geological camp right now.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I really wanna say leopardskin jasper or poppy jasper for these.  Both are orbicular and tend to have fracture marks, which if you look closely at these stones, there are lots of healed cracks.  I cabbed a leopardskin for my mom that looked almost identical to the 3rd picture up and you can find it in a variety of colors including red...  So I'm gonna say leopardskin is my final answer.  lol

I think, this image might have the characters of the specimens posted in two distinctive vertical rows, not in a combined version. I think, the septate feature might have nothing to do with fossil wood, stromatolith or coral. :)

ocean-jasper-from-madagascar-orbicular-jasper-cryptocrystalline-quartz-BB58FK.thumb.jpg.3f081d64eaa29ab4052f4f00d748cddf.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library